download probs

difonzo

I have files that range from 15 to 200 MB when zipped. They download fine on a Mac, no matter what the size. PCs however have trouble even with some small files. A PC can not download a zip over 20MB or so, OR an MP3 over 5 MB or so.

I have updated and checked the zips themselves, and they are fine. The reason I suspect CC is that even MP3s have problems. Smaller ones work fine, larger ones download, but audio stops after 2 minutes or so.

Any ideas?

Guest groovejuice

I have a site that sells albums in zipped mp3 format and many of the files approach 100 megs. There have been no issues with incomplete downloads to PC's ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a site that sells albums in zipped mp3 format and many of the files approach 100 megs. There have been no issues with incomplete downloads to PC's ...

Are you using the root path or HTTP path for downloads? When I use the root path, with a download folder at the root level of my server, I have the above mentioned problems (with PC only - Mac works fine)

When I place the download folder inside the catalog folder, with CC, and use the http path, all works fine, but then I am more susceptible to theft....

Where do you have your download folder?

Always at the root level using the root path. I wonder if it might be a filename issue. Try to shorten the filename and omit non alpha-numeric symbols.

Thanks! That's worth a try. There are no non-alphanumerics, but some of the filenames ARE long.

The new problem is that I can not get into my admin page. It looks like I am being redirected. When I try to go to:

http://discretedrumsonline.com/carts/admin

it goes to:

http://discretedrumsonline.com/carts/admin...admin/index.php

I get the Page Not Found 404 error. The actual url used to be http://discretedrumsonline/cart but as I can not get into my admin panel, and people have been ordering, I changed the CC directory so people can not place orders till I get this sorted out. Changing the CC folder from "cart" to "carts" is the only way I can disable the store for the moment.

Thanks for your help, I can't wait till I can get into my admin and try it!

Best,

Rick

Guest groovejuice

If you rename the directory the store sits in, you must update your global.inc. php file to reflect the changes. The fact that downloads are working on Mac an not PC lead me to believe that it is a file name problem. I've also noticed a few times that if the obfuscated download link is long and wraps on a second line- problems can occur.

If you rename the directory the store sits in, you must update your global.inc. php file to reflect the changes. The fact that downloads are working on Mac an not PC lead me to believe that it is a file name problem. I've also noticed a few times that if the obfuscated download link is long and wraps on a second line- problems can occur.

Well the filenames are not the issue, but thanks, I hadn't thought of that. It is filesize, I am sure. Anything over 30 MB just won't download completely on a PC. I'll wait till I upgrade to CC 4 to go crazy over this. I am just VERY grateful to tech support for helping me get my admin page sorted out.

I even tried OScommerce, it had the same prob, and didn't like it anyway.....

Thanks again, and if you have any other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!

R

Guest groovejuice

I can't think of any reason allowable download size could be OS dependant. If there were a server limit, it should apply to all. If you PM a link to me, I'll check it out on my workstation.

• 7 months later...
Guest Ball Or Nothing

Anyone get this figured out? I get a lot of customers with incomplete files. (Zipped video files mostly - 60MB or so.)

I'll try renaming them to something short. And I'm switching hosts soon, so maybe that'll help...

Thanks!

BoN