Why I will not be using cubecart

Guest vavroom

One of the things I look for when I select a system to use to build a website is support through the forums. It is a good indicator that if I run into problems during setup or development, I'll be able to find the answers I need in the forum or other documentation, or I'll be able to get the assistance I want if the issues have not yet been covered already.

Over a week ago, I posted a couple questions as I was evaluating Cubecart as an option for a site I'm building. Not one person responded to what seemed fairly straight forward questions (although searching didn't bring answers, hence my asking the questions).

And that leads me to the decision that I shan't be using cubecart. If I can't get the answers I need before I've selected the product, it doesn't bode well for when I would have started using it.

*shrug*

I found your recent post from the 9th - not over a week ago yet... But if you don't get a reply after a few days, it will probably be lost.

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....amp;hl=cubecart

The basic answer is "no" (ish)

I assume you where asking about CC3. This is free to download and use. You can run a store without parting with any money - so other than time, you have nothing to lose.

For most people, its a start, and depending on your needs it can do most of what you need, out of the box.

There are many many free mods, tweaks and skins so with basically no financial outlay, you can quite quickly have a great store.

Your first question was about categorising documents. If you mean a structured level-based document system, then CubeCart won't do this, and I'm not aware of any mods to do this.

Thats not to say it can't be done with some work.

Your second question was concerning menus. The standard install has a list of product categories, which you cannot order. The site documents is in a separate list, usually elsewhere on the page.

There are free mods to alter the menus - is put the sitedocs into a sidebox. You can easily alter the order of the product categories, via free or commercial mods.

You'll have to decide how important the document aspect is - and either be prepared to pay for someone to code something for you, or look at other alternatives.

One thing to bear in mind - these forums mainly contain other users, CubeCart staff may make the odd anouncement, and more recently are on hand to assist with the new CC4 product.

I'm not too sure if you've read a few posts, but many point "tweak requests" to www.cubecartforums.org

This is a 3rd party site, where independant mods/tweaks/skins are traded.

I would advise checking it out and perhaps asking for a mod request for your main question.

If you can clarify your menu question, you may get a better answer.

I hope this is helpful,

Jason

Guest Brivtech

Over a week ago, I posted a couple questions as I was evaluating Cubecart as an option for a site I'm building. Not one person responded to what seemed fairly straight forward questions (although searching didn't bring answers, hence my asking the questions).
You made that post on the 9th, which was actually less than a week ago.

The forums are buzzing with posts, answers, and even on occasions developer support, using descriptive topic titles helps people access whether they are going to other clicking on a topic or not - It's also advised to post one topic per question. I should point out that there is a system of support tickets exclusively for developer support, which are generally answered very quickly. The developers are under no obligation to answer forum questions, even though they do on many occasions - Most of that is lift to contributors who are customers, and third party developers. It's done on a completely voluntary basis, and there are a lot of posts to cover each day. Scroll down the lists of posts, and you'll find that the vast majority are answered quickly, with multiple answers.

I'm sorry your initial post wasn't answered. I certainly don't bother reading or answering all posts, only the ones that I have familiarity with, and can therefore answer with an expert opinion. Is it not better to sometimes give exact and reliable information then fob someone off with heresay?

If you don't want to use CubeCart because your first single post wasn't answered, then that's entirely your choice. No-one here is forcing you to use it. My only comment to this would be that it would possibly be an ill-informed decision as you have clearly done little to research whether the system is suitable for you or not, and basing your entire choice on an unanswered post, which would be a shame if it was a suitable package for you.

I hope that the replies to this topic perhaps have filled in some of the gray areas that were clouding your judgement - For better or for worse. It's your choice at the end of the day, and we will be happy to help you make that whichever way it turns out. I know the how you feel, I stopped using another system because of the support - But that was much different, the forum was the entire support system and developer specific questions could take months to answer, even after multiple post bumping, and PMs to the developers - And that was a commercial system that cost a lot of money.