Fatal Error, Did Search And Could Not Find Anything

Guest ProjectViper

This particular error:

"Illegal use of string offsets causes E_ERROR (PHP5) instead of E_WARNING (PHP4)."

As best I understand what's going on, $lang['admin']['yes'] = "Yes" is actually getting processed as:

$lang['admin']['yes'][0] = "Y"

$lang['admin']['yes'][1] = "e"

$lang['admin']['yes'][2] = "s"

where the third dimension is implied and acts as an offset into the string.

Realize that $lang is, in fact, a three dimensional array. It's just that when first using it as a two dimensional array, each letter of the string, as an array, takes on the guise of the third dimension.

I've run CC3.0.15 and .16 against several versions of PHP. PHP version 4 did not ever give me problems with a standard CC install. PHP5 up to version 5.1.2 seemed to work (if I recall correctly - I was experimenting with this July 2007), while for version 5.2.0, I had to modify any file that declared classes. (Had to wrap them inside a if !class_exists() wrapper.) I had absolutely no luck in getting CC3.0.16 running on PHP 5.2.3.

Advice/Suggestions:

1) If this is your server box, then maybe - if you're not running any other PHP app that absolutely requires PHP5, like the latest version of MediaWiki - you might consider switching to the latest version of PHP4.

2) I haven't done the following as my understanding of PHP arrays isn't perfect: modify the GLOBAL ADMIN section to read:

$lang['admin'] = array (

'yes' => "Yes",

'no' => "No",

etc...

);

As I say, I have no idea if the above will fix it or make it worse.

Let us know how you fare.

Guest ProjectViper

Thanks for your help, I will try the last one out since this is a renter host. But for the mean time I have found a work around. I uploaded all my pictures to the server in a zip and exstracted. And its creating the thumbs and everything so for right now its a fix. But to get it working the way it is supossed to I will try what you are explaining. Thanks again, and I'll post if it fixes it.