Add To Basket Fails (intermittent Problem, Some Customers Only, Perhap

Guest estelle

Guest maksum

This one will be interesting since I can't personally duplicate the problem. We've just had four or five people complain about it so I assume it's there.

That's the bugger there. We have people complain about it all the time, so there's no telling how many people experience it and just give up. Most of the time our customers don't even know what browser they are using. I ask and they'll say something like "um... I think it's like Verizon or something." So I don't even bother asking about security and cookie settings, etc.. :yeahhh:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PLMaster

OK, will make sure none of my add on mods have code in any of those three files and will then upload them next week (after I backup everything). Is anyone on the forums on AOL or know anyone who is who could test it more than I'll be able to? I don't think I know a single person who has it anymore that would be willing to place test orders for me. All I know is it works fine on my stuff: Alltel internet access at work on Windows XP, Vista on whatever the city uses at the library, Windows XP on Cox cable internet and Macs with Tiger and Leopard on Cox.

Guest PLMaster

Of course while I'm at it, has anyone done this already (with the three files in the bug report) and seen positive results? There's just something about being the first to try that's a bit scary. :yeahhh: Then again if it breaks anything my three original files go right back up...it's the inability to test that's aggravating me.

Guest RenateH

Al put the fix into my store last week, and at this point I haven't heard from anyone with a problem, nor have i noticed anything going wrong (you can often tell by watching the customer tracking mod). Then again, for some reason the only complaints i got in the the first place came from BC, Canada and there have been no BC orders since he put in the fix. So I can't be sure if it's working or not. This is a brand new store and I'm only now starting the SEO, so there isn't a huge enough level of activity to know anything for sure at this point.

Guest PLMaster

Cool. The only problem in my mods is with the /includes/boxes/shoppingCart.inc.php file and Estelle's wonderful Quick Edit Product Options. Must proceed carefully. Will let everyone know if I have any problems.

Update: Ran into a problem right away that hopefully Estelle can help with. I was trying to apply the bit of code for QEPO into the new shoppingCart.inc.php file. In the instructions for Quick Edit Product Options it says to find this code:

$optionsCost += $option[0]['option_price'];

} else if ($option[0]['option_symbol'] == "-") {

$optionsCost -= $option[0]['option_price'];

}

}

}

}

$price	= (salePrice($product[0]['price'], $product[0]['sale_price']) == false) ? $price = $product[0]['price'] : salePrice($product[0]['price'], $product[0]['sale_price']);

$price += $optionsCost;

if ($price < 0) $price = 0;

$name	= $product[0]['name'];

In the new shoppingCart.inc.php that exact mix of code doesn't exist.  Instead it has this:

if ($option) {

$option_price	= $option[0]['option_price'];

$option_symbol	= $option[0]['option_symbol'];

$option_value	= $value_data[1];

}

}

}

if ($option_price > 0) {

if ($option_symbol == "+") {

$optionsCost = $optionsCost + $option_price;

} else if ($option_symbol == "-") {

$optionsCost = $optionsCost - $option_price;

} else if ($option_symbol == "~") {

$optionsCost = 0;

}

}

}

}

$price	= (salePrice($product[0]['price'], $product[0]['sale_price']) == false) ? $price = $product[0]['price'] : salePrice($product[0]['price'], $product[0]['sale_price']);

$price += $optionsCost;

if ($price < 0) $price = 0;

$name	= $product[0]['name'];

}

I need some guidance on what to do to make sure QEPO still works if I replace these three patched files.

Thanks!

Guest printeet

Hi all,

I'm also having similar problems at my shop. www.printeet.com/shop. I haven't tried the fix yet but will do so in jiff. However, I just wanted to share some findings that I had that might give us more clues / shed some light in what's happening.

I am unable to add to cart at my home ISP. But, when I enable my connection to connect through a proxy, I can successfully add items into my cart.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that my ISP is operating behind a proxy farm and my IP addresses changes almost every refresh. Hence everytime I add something to cart, IP refreshes, cart empties.

This IP refresh thing also prevented me from entering my administration panel but I managed to temprorarily resolve it by connecting through a proxy. More details of the No Administration Session login problem here.

Hope this piece of information helps.

Guest mouselink

Hi

We have had problems on two of our sites: tdffashion and bigboys for a while now but we didn't know to what extent or what the problem was as we didnt have a Vista/IE combination computer that failed to work with.

Both sites worked fine on Windows XP (all browsers) but with Vista/IE7 we couldn't:

a) Add more than one product to the cart.

:( Go to checkout. It would revert to home page.

c) Logout. The page says weve logged out but when we go back into the home page we are still logged in.

I used Estelles suggested changes on both sites. Thanks verymuch Estelle.

It took all three changes to get tdffashion to work. I copied the session.php to bigboys and its cured a) and :yeahhh: but I cannot log out.

However, what is interesting is that I can log out on our development server which IS NOT running SSL.

Anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

Thanks

Darren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NOD32 user

Hi

We have had problems on two of our sites: tdffashion and bigboys for a while now but we didn't know to what extent or what the problem was as we didnt have a Vista/IE combination computer that failed to work with.

Both sites worked fine on Windows XP (all browsers) but with Vista/IE7 we couldn't:

a) Add more than one product to the cart.

:) Go to checkout. It would revert to home page.

c) Logout. The page says weve logged out but when we go back into the home page we are still logged in.

I used Estelles suggested changes on both sites. Thanks verymuch Estelle.

It took all three changes to get tdffashion to work. I copied the session.php to bigboys and its cured a) and B) but I cannot log out.

However, what is interesting is that I can log out on our development server which IS NOT running SSL.

Anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

I have experienced some issues similar to yours running 4.3.0

Initially I observed that with SEO URL's enabled I could not login, and when I finally did manage to I could not log out.

Everything still seemed to work fine with SEO URL's off, or if Force SSL: was enabled under General Settings --> Directories & Folders

Figuring that it was a cookie and/or session issue, quite a lot of time has been spent debugging these and it seemed that by setting several session and cookie handling options in .htaccess as well as carefully determining the remote IP (another story!) the issue had been resolved - and while performance had certainly been improved I came across this thread because in reality it still existed for at least some.

Reading Post #4 of this thread I had what I believe to be an epiphany. The main issue is caching!

Permit me to expand the logic and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

CC v3 had no SEO URL's option and this was never an issue but ever since my first install of v4 which was 4.1.x I believe, I have struggled with these issues.

With SEO URL's comes a predominance of no query strings in URL's. No query string = eligable for cache. Cached page delivery = code doesn't fire on server and previous version of page is displayed and cookies are not created or destroyed, cart looks like it did last time, etc.etc. per code not being executed at server - all of which is why my first attempt at fixing via setting session options in .htaccess seemed to work because one of the settings I used forced the sessid into the URL which make it contain a query string i.e. URL ended with 'prod_5231.html?ccUser=vfbdb8fv87f87fr68fbd87fbd' and was not cached. Likewise when forcing SSL.

So, the solution I am currently working with here which I certainly believe at this time to have resolved all issues is to add the following to my .htaccess:

php_value session.use_trans_sid 1

php_value session.use_cookies 1

php_value session.cookie_httponly 1

<FilesMatch "\.(html|htm|php|tpl)$">

Header set Content-Type "text/html; charset=UTF-8"

FileETag None

<IfModule mod_headers.c>

Header unset ETag

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"

Header set Pragma "no-cache"

Header set Expires "Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT"

</IfModule>

</FilesMatch>

I'm absolutely certain this can be further refined.

Obviously for some servers this will not work as I have it - there are alternatives to mod_headers.c for example but this at least shouldn't (hopefully?) break anything. Also note that I also have some special code for determining the remote IP in place required due to a pecularity of the way my hosting works. I believe that for most it should not be required but the code I am using for that will be posted into the appropriate bugtrac for those who would like to try it.

EDIT: I also have in place fix #2 from here but am uncertain about the impact on the solution. I had fix #3 running for a while to debug which I why I fixed the remote IP detection.

What I would like to do now having thoroughly tested myself from here now as much as is humanly possible already, is ask a favour of those experiencing this issue. Please help me test this exhaustively - it has to be right for my customers.

Head over to my store, try add products to basket, try login, try logout, try everything in all combinations. If you're helping me with this, even put things through the checkout if you will using the print/email order form and just put a link to this thread in the notes box so I know you're just helping me confirm this is right and I'll delete your order after. If it works or doesn't work or if you find any other issue I should address I have a contact form in the links at the top of the page, or post back here - just let me know.

Like everybody else I need this to work right and I'm ever so appreciative of the assistance so if somebody else could benefit from a trial run or ten let me know!

Store is at: http://www.willtech.com.au/shop/

Cheers and HTH :)

Guest RenateH

I had the problem again yesterday - all the fixes are in. This time the problem was actually on my own computer so i can describe what happened. I usually sell only on-line, but i had a customer come here on Friday and i entered an order but never completed it - just left it hanging until it disappeared. Yesterday i tried to put through a test order and nothing would add. Just got the screen flicker with nothing showing up in the basket. However, when i went into view basket, clicked on empty basket, then continue shopping, it worked again. This is vista/firefox 3.0.8

I realize this isn't the way people normally encounter this issue, but maybe it gives someone another clue...

Renate

Guest Murrina

The saga continues...

Changed the .htaccess file as suggested by NOD32, and implemented various other 'fixes'. Unfortunately the problem manifested itself again. Happens in IE7, Chrome and Firefox (basically all the browsers we have tested on). Our issue is more along the lines of people logging in and being bounced out again, or getting caught in a loop in the checkout. Pretty sure this is related to the basket bug.

Have submitted a support ticket, but the reply was basically that if the problem cannot be recreated reliably, then they can't help.

Used to be a programmer for many years and my gut instinct is that this is, as suggest by NOD32, a cache issue.

Sorry if I've missed a post, but has anyone been able to recreate this bug without fail, and if so, how? This is the most important thing to pass on to the developers to give them a chance of sorting this out.

Guest ztztss

I have same problem with Cubecart3 with User Friendly URLs.

After day of investigation I found problem and solution, probably it work for CC4.

Full version here:

CubeCart Empties Basket and session fix

Shortly problem is:

$sessionDomain = substr($GLOBALS['rootRel'],0, strlen($GLOBALS['rootRel'])-1);

if we have $GLOBALS['rootRel'] = '\' we receive

$sessionDomain = '';

than

@ini_set("session.cookie_path",$sessionDomain);

and what we have - we have cookies with relative path, so if we first visit product page our first cookie set only for products with same category, not for whole domain and we can't see it in another category or basket etc.

So solution comment this

(or something like this or fix path for cookies)

I have same problem with Cubecart3 with User Friendly URLs.

After day of investigation I found problem and solution, probably it work for CC4.

Full version here:

CubeCart Empties Basket and session fix

Shortly problem is:

$sessionDomain = substr($GLOBALS['rootRel'],0, strlen($GLOBALS['rootRel'])-1);

if we have $GLOBALS['rootRel'] = '\' we receive

$sessionDomain = '';

than

and what we have - we have cookies with relative path, so if we first visit product page our first cookie set only for products with same category, not for whole domain and we can't see it in another category or basket etc.

So solution comment this

(or something like this or fix path for cookies)

I am still having problems with this issue, and I don't know if it is worse or just a coincidence but I've been having more reports lately since trying one of the fixes above.

I would like to try this one here, but I need to know exactly where to look and what to change as I don't know anything about php.

Guest Ghost armor

I am also experiencing this problem, it appears to still be happening. We have noticed it happen with old versions of msn. I have yet to reproduce it using firefox or internet explorer

Guest ztztss

I am still having problems with this issue, and I don't know if it is worse or just a coincidence but I've been having more reports lately since trying one of the fixes above.

I would like to try this one here, but I need to know exactly where to look and what to change as I don't know anything about php.

What version of CC you use?

Could you pack and attach or give link on files from folder /includes (if it present in your version of CC)?

What version of CC you use?

Could you pack and attach or give link on files from folder /includes (if it present in your version of CC)?

I am using 4.3.0. Exactly which files would you need to look at for the includes? Alternatively, my includes files would be http://www.creative-fabrics.co.uk/includes/

I seem to be having more problems like this of late for some reason and I really hope it can be fixed. I've put enough time and money into this cart to where I don't want to give it up, but the customer just wants an easy shopping experience. So I'm on the edge right now of giving this one up and finding one that will work.

Guest ztztss

I am using 4.3.0. Exactly which files would you need to look at for the includes? Alternatively, my includes files would be http://www.creative-fabrics.co.uk/includes/

I seem to be having more problems like this of late for some reason and I really hope it can be fixed. I've put enough time and money into this cart to where I don't want to give it up, but the customer just wants an easy shopping experience. So I'm on the edge right now of giving this one up and finding one that will work.

http://www.creative-fabrics.co.uk/includes/

Access Denied

I work with CC3, file sessionStart.inc.php

I look into CC4 it differs, please write what you do (conditions) to see problem?

• 1 month later...
Guest imjesus

I'm also having the same problem. My customers are calling to place orders after saying they can't add to basket (nothing happens) but my worry is that I'm losing customers that DONT call to place an order!

I have tried all of the fixes but it still seems to happen, on various browsers, the problem is random etc.

Any clues??!

BTW I have tried the fixes and the latest versions, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imjesus

Also, as a side note, the fixes mentioned by Estelle -- for some reason I can't actually FIND the code specified in my PHP file to make the changes? I'm using the latest version of the session PHP file, is this why?

• 2 weeks later...

Renate we were on 4.2.2 now we are at 4.3.3. The issue still persists.

Using V 4.3.3 I had this problem of not being able to login as a customer or add items to basket as a guest. Found that the problem was due to my customer having more than one domain. The store is configured to a dot com domain

includes/global.inc.php has $glob['storeURL'] = 'http://www.suesbeads.com/store';

but the link I had from her site home page (not the store homepage)went to her dot co.uk eg 'http://www.suesbeads.co.uk/store'

The 2 domains are redirected to one root folder on my server. The problem was caused by this incorrect URL although the store homepage loads in the browser.

Having corrected the link to the dot com URL all the problems have gone.

Maybe some of the other posts on this subject can be fixed by checking if this senario is the same.

Guest imjesus

Renate we were on 4.2.2 now we are at 4.3.3. The issue still persists.

Using V 4.3.3 I had this problem of not being able to login as a customer or add items to basket as a guest. Found that the problem was due to my customer having more than one domain. The store is configured to a dot com domain

includes/global.inc.php has $glob['storeURL'] = 'http://www.suesbeads.com/store';

but the link I had from her site home page (not the store homepage)went to her dot co.uk eg 'http://www.suesbeads.co.uk/store'

The 2 domains are redirected to one root folder on my server. The problem was caused by this incorrect URL although the store homepage loads in the browser.

Having corrected the link to the dot com URL all the problems have gone.

Maybe some of the other posts on this subject can be fixed by checking if this senario is the same.

Hi Peter, not sure if this fix would work for my issue, as I have checked our store URLs and all seem correct.

I think we are still awaiting another type of fix. Thanks.

Guest RenateH

I still have it too even with the addition of Andrew's fix and with Al commenting out the destroy sessions statement. When I get it on my computer, restarting often fixes it. But it crops up again in a few hours. I'm personally only getting it with firefox.

Guest imjesus

I still have it too even with the addition of Andrew's fix and with Al commenting out the destroy sessions statement. When I get it on my computer, restarting often fixes it. But it crops up again in a few hours. I'm personally only getting it with firefox.

For me (using FireFox and IE8 & 7, it seems to be OK. I am using the KitaBlue skin, whereas my other CC stores us Carreta skins and seem OK.

About 15% of customers are having this problem with various browsers.

Desperately awaiting a fix!