Protecting Yourself Against Fraud Buyers?

I have put my store up and I have it all finished. A couple of days ago I got a sell in the site of a vbulletin skin. The payment went via paypal and went through with no problem. I checked everything and then granted the download in my cubecart admin panel. The customer downloaded the product at least once. It shows that in my CC admin panel. A few hours ago I got an e-mail from paypal saying they reversed the payment and they took the money away without me being able to dispute anything at all on the paypal site. The person wanted the money back because they said its was a "fraudulent" payment and they did not warrant it. My question is this what can I do to combat this? What steps can I take to ensure this does not happen again because this person is lying when they say its a fraudulent payment. that's absolute crap because they DOWNLOADED the skin. they got it for free & I got ripped off :sleep: How can I not have this happen again or at the very least protect myself from this in the future in some way.

Thanks

MP

Well, I'm sure you are going to get answers along the lines of:

--this is a CC support forum, not a paypal forum.

--post your query to the paypalsucks dot com web site forums.

--re-read your paypal agreement.

--configure paypal to accept only authenticated card account holders.

--configure paypal to require the CVV2 number.

--don't use paypal.

But as far as managing a CubeCart store is concerned, you can delay shipping by a set number of days, say 14. That way, any customer claiming fraud has that much time to dispute the charge and you won't have lost anything.

As for a potential mod to your store, you could develop a means where a customer needs to scan his face with the card held on top of his forehead and the headlines of today's newspaper held beneath his chin and have that image uploaded to your store for verification of a legitimate purchase.

Or you could just realize that situations like this happen, as few and far between as they may be.

Thanks for your reply. I really hate paypal but the problem is I have not found a CC company that does not charge an arm & a leg to get yourself off the ground and get your store opened up. This is why I currently use paypal, I really have not found anything that does not cost hundreds to thousands of dollars to implement. :sleep:

MP

Install the Text Imput Mod by Estelle making sure the customer has to put in a domain name to place the order.

Install Safe Digital Downloads mod by Convict which will enable you to stall allowing the download for a couple of hours giving paypal the chance to report back if they suspect its a fraudulant order.

Code a licensing system into your VB skins allowing you to disable the skin remotely if it has been 'stolen'.

Great! Thanks on those points. I have more than vbulletin skins in my store. We carry just about everything or at least we will be :sleep:

I cannot find the text input mod. I'm currently running cubecart v3.0.17 and I did not see a place for this mod on Estelle's site or cc.org 3rd party mod site. Am I missing something?

I also could not find the other one either. :sleep:

Thanks

MP

What I'd really like to see is an online database of fraudulent customers. Kind of like the credit bureaus that keep records of bad loans and such. That way, a mod could be created to check the database before granting the order.

If such a system existed, we could blacklist the scum that do this over and over again on various sites.

Of course, there would have to be a failsafe so that people don't get listed inappropriately. Some people really do have valid reasons for asking for a refund, and that right should be protected as well.

Overall this would be like the various blacklists for spammers.

That's what I'd love to see.

What I'd really like to see is an online database of fraudulent customers. Kind of like the credit bureaus that keep records of bad loans and such. That way, a mod could be created to check the database before granting the order.

If such a system existed, we could blacklist the scum that do this over and over again on various sites.

Of course, there would have to be a failsafe so that people don't get listed inappropriately. Some people really do have valid reasons for asking for a refund, and that right should be protected as well.

Overall this would be like the various blacklists for spammers.

That's what I'd love to see.

That's an interesting idea. I agree that it would help many people.

And thanks Stevie68. :mellow:

Respond to the dispute within PayPal. Give them the details of the transaction, as well as shown them the proof the download took place. They'll deal with the credit card company for you.

We've had several of those things happen to us & more often than not, PayPal gets our money back.

The credit card companies have 75 days to respond & they'll usually use every last one of them. So you'll need to be patient.

Good luck!

I have put my store up and I have it all finished. A couple of days ago I got a sell in the site of a vbulletin skin. The payment went via paypal and went through with no problem. I checked everything and then granted the download in my cubecart admin panel. The customer downloaded the product at least once. It shows that in my CC admin panel. A few hours ago I got an e-mail from paypal saying they reversed the payment and they took the money away without me being able to dispute anything at all on the paypal site. The person wanted the money back because they said its was a "fraudulent" payment and they did not warrant it. My question is this what can I do to combat this? What steps can I take to ensure this does not happen again because this person is lying when they say its a fraudulent payment. that's absolute crap because they DOWNLOADED the skin. they got it for free & I got ripped off :) How can I not have this happen again or at the very least protect myself from this in the future in some way.

Thanks

MP

Respond to the dispute within PayPal. Give them the details of the transaction, as well as shown them the proof the download took place. They'll deal with the credit card company for you.

We've had several of those things happen to us & more often than not, PayPal gets our money back.

The credit card companies have 75 days to respond & they'll usually use every last one of them. So you'll need to be patient.

Good luck!

Yeah I would of done that if PayPal had not taken it immediately and gave me no chance to respond or do anything. The dispute was filed, and then closed by paypal like 2 seconds later and they gave the person the money back! I hate paypal personally because of this kind of stuff. This is not the first time they have done this kind of thing to me. I'm not a protected seller because all my products are for download & electronic on my site. And other fees are for web design so it is also not protected apparently unless I've set up something wrong in my account.

PayPal will not cover digital items under any circumstances.

No they won't I know this and its not a great thing. I guess they really do not care about EVERYONE that is signed up with them.

MP

Personally, I sell digital items as in MMORPG (Massively multiplayer online role-playing game) and have been selling for almost 3 years. I had my fair share of chargebacks.

This is my own advice to you.

1. There is a clause in Paypal whereby intangibles, for services or for licenses and other access to digital content are NOT covered by Buyer Protection Program. You need to read it up and make it to your advantage.

2. Accept ONLY ISP based emails.

3. Countercheck the Registration Info on your cubecart and that of the Info on the buyer's paypal.

There are many other pointers I can give you but what is most important is that you become selective with which buyers you intend to accept payments from OR if you think something is "fishy", just refund the buyer.

I hope this helps.

There are many other pointers I can give you but what is most important is that you become selective with which buyers you intend to accept payments from OR if you think something is "fishy", just refund the buyer.

I hope this helps.

Exactly! I do this all the time. If there is anything which doesnt match up or gives me a gut feeling then they are refunded immediately. This goes for people who order from the forum too, you'd be suprised how many members of the .org forum buy a skin or mod from me but either dont put their phone number or some silly 123456 address and then wonder why their order has been declined. Remember that if any of the address details the customer has given to you dont match up with their paypal details then you dont have a hope in hell of any recourse :)

Thanks that some good ideas that I will look into both the paypal stuff and the other stuff. As for the mods I will have to get those as I can they are paid mods and right now its not feesible for me :(

MP

I hope this helps.

Exactly! I do this all the time. If there is anything which doesnt match up or gives me a gut feeling then they are refunded immediately. This goes for people who order from the forum too, you'd be suprised how many members of the .org forum buy a skin or mod from me but either dont put their phone number or some silly 123456 address and then wonder why their order has been declined. Remember that if any of the address details the customer has given to you dont match up with their paypal details then you dont have a hope in hell of any recourse :)

Thanks that some good ideas that I will look into both the paypal stuff and the other stuff. As for the mods I will have to get those as I can they are paid mods and right now its not feesible for me :(

MP

PM sent. Hope it helps a little. :)

I hope this helps.

MP

PM sent. Hope it helps a little. :)

thanks, i got it :D

MP