Heavily Modified Store..Upgrading?

Guest dillingerink

Guest dillingerink

I want to upgrade from 3.0.14 to 3.0.17 but am a little uncertain with how to handle the modifications that are in place. I have quite a few mods added and don't want to mess up those files...Do I need to isolate the files that have been modified and not overwrite them? In doing so am I messing up the upgrade process?

Thanks!

Rochelle

Hi Rochelle,

when you upgrade you'll need to run something like "winmerge" to identify changes between files.

Some CC files will only have the header comments changed, whereas others will have a bit more.

How many mods do you have? - its always quicker to re-apply mods 2nd time around and will probably be quicker than comparing all files.

To install 3.0.17 and re-apply mods, probably an evenings work (or less), but if you make a mistake on trying to merge the files, it could take much longer to fix.

Jason

Guest dillingerink

ugh I have 9 mods - many of which were time consuming just because of overlapping code and having to play around with where to enter them.

This is the list of files that are modified...not sure if that helps clarify but I hate to have to do it all over again...Plus I have followed some posts with tweaks so I don't actually have the instructional files anymore...

admin/products/index.php

admin/products/options.php

/admin/categories/index.php

/admin/includes/navigation.php

admin/includes/header.inc.php

admin/orders/order.php

admin/orders/print.php

/admin/styles/style.css

admin/orders/order.php

includes/boxes/shoppingCart.inc.php

includes/boxes/randomProd.inc.php

includes/boxes/popularProducts.inc.php

includes/boxes/saleItems.inc.php

includes/boxes/info.inc.php

/includes/boxes/categories.inc.php

includes/orderSuccess.inc.php

includes/content/viewProd.inc.php

includes/content/viewOrder.inc.php

includes/content/gateway.inc.php

includes/content/confirmed.inc.php

includes/content/cart.inc.php

/includes/content/viewCat.inc.php

includes/content/index.inc.php

/language/en/config.inc.php

language/en/lang.inc.php

modules/gateway/PayPal/transfer.inc.php

modules/gateway/ccNow/transfer.inc.php

I just hate to not upgrade and have security issues...

any thoughts??

Thanks!

Rochelle

Guest xceejayx

I always find it easier to completely re-install the mods, rather than merging the files.

I recommend you download Notepad Plus, as it takes alot less time and effort than notepad...

9 mods shouldn't take that long - i'd just close the store (with a note letting customers know you're doing routine maintenance) and spend an afternoon reinstalling everything.

Guest Brivtech

Security is a big concern for me, so whenever an update is launched, it's my top priority to update my sites accordingly.

I now know enough about php to write all my own code modifications, and when I do so, I annotate them in a development forum, for example:

Open: site/folder/filename.inc.php

Find on line 123:

<?php

$somecode = $somethingelse['anything'];

Add, After:

$someOtherStuff = "Whatever";

and so on and so forth.

I also use Replace Withs and Add, Befores.

I started annotating like that because of years spent working with phpBB forums.

When there is a new version update, and parts of the code have changed, I update the annotations in the development forum as well, so we can keep track of the changes.

The point of this is that we need to apply updates regularly, and it saves a lot of time beig able to have a reference like that available. We couldn't do without it.

We're using CC4 now , and whenever an update is released, it can take up to a week for us to re-build our system over CubeCart, which forms the core. In fact, much of my Easter will include upgrading from 4.1.1 to 4.2.1 (Skipped 4.2.0 on purpose)

Guest dillingerink

I always find it easier to completely re-install the mods, rather than merging the files.

I recommend you download Notepad Plus, as it takes alot less time and effort than notepad...

9 mods shouldn't take that long - i'd just close the store (with a note letting customers know you're doing routine maintenance) and spend an afternoon reinstalling everything.

*dang* I am about ready to be on maternity leave so any extra work outside of what I am trying to accomplish seems daunting *lol* Well I was hoping to not have to do it but I suppose it is about time..I'll have to check out Notepad Plus - thanks for the tips

I think I may have come across this in another post but I don't have to update the skin file do I?

Thanks guys!

Rochelle

I think when you download the 3.0.17 files there will be an upgrade folder which might tell you which files have been altered between 3.0.14 and 3.0.17.

You could then use a clean version of 3.0.14 to find the changes and manually update your files.

Might take a while!

We use 3.0.14 and I've no plans to upgrade at present (3.0.15/16/17 we all recommended but not critical with only some modules/features affected none of which I used) although I might now spend some time doing it manually having launched our new design.

Guest Brivtech

Just so you know, 16 and 17 were minor updates, but 15 was fairly major covering a security exploit - As far as I remember. It was a while ago now.

• 1 month later...
Guest shadowbunny.com

I had to redo my store recently. I have eleven mods. I got half of them done in less than 24 hours. The quickest and easiest way to do it (in my opinion), is to use FireFox as your browser. Log into your website admin/controlpanel/file manager (do not use FTP), then open up the file you want to edit.

While this window for this file is open, go to the top left of the FireFox browser and click "Edit", then choose "Find in this page". Now go over to your mod file where it says "Find in the code blah blah blah *insert code gibberish that takes hours to read and find manually here*", highlight + copy it. Now paste it in the "Find in this page" form, and presto! FireFox shoots you right down to where that code is and even highlights it for you, now you can paste your mod code there.