Google Chrome

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

Do we need another browser?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7594808.stm

As a programmer and designer, I love Firefox, tolerate IE, don't have too much time for Opera, loathe AOL's built-in browser, and resign pretty much everything else to a distant memory. Anyone think we're in for a load of incompatibility problems with CSS and the like with Google? Or is it likely to follow Firefox's open-source standard and lever IE further away?

I've just downloaded and used google chrome.

I have to say it's fast and works well with my cubecart store as well as many other sites I decided to test briefly.

Thumbs up so far.

I'm sure it won't be an issue to designers/developers and the engines used for each browser is almost the same if not the same. I personally don't think there is a requirement for this however. Firefox 3 is terrific and we are starting to move away from the (block your ears designers) Nutscrape 4 days!! :sourcerer:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brivtech

I just finally took the plunge into FF3 and Google Chrome:

- Firefox 3 didn't work when I upgraded it - I managed to get it working by running by disabling plugins (that it inherited from FF2). Not too mad about the formatting of the drop-down history suggestions as you type, seems a bit clunky, but I suppose I'll get used to that.

- Google Chrome I think would look better on Vista than XP because of the transparent window header. It seems quite basic, hasn't given me any trouble, and perhaps because of its simplicity, I may recommend it to customers over the other browsers, because there are less obvious settings to break. I also heard that when it crashes, the program still runs, where just the affected tab can be disabled.

So, looks like I'm sticking with Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite like its clean appearance, speed and built in spell checker but one thing I am not keen on is its such a resource hog, every time you open a new tab it uses another process. Check it out using task manager, I suppose that now days new PC's come with 2GB ram so its not too bad but with 9 tabs open at once its using a chunk of ram.