Best Blogging Software

Guest Mark Weigl

Guest Mark Weigl

I have decided to create a blog that links off of my ecommerce website. It will be in a subdirectory, www.yoursite.com/blog. I will have links from the blog onto our regular website and of course vice versa our ecommerce site will have a link to our blog.

We are running the ecommerce website already and I'm wondering which software would work best to compliment the ecommerce site. We have seen Joomla, WordPress, Expression Engine, and Drupal.

We just plan to have a basic blog and it won't necessarily be a standalone website. Most blogging will be done by one person and we just want to have separate categories for the subject areas on the blog. We'd want the ability to have pictures within our posts and hyperlinks to our ecommerce site along with standard HTML in the posts. We'd also likely want to get a custom template done at a later date. Which solution would work best for these type of needs?

I'm sure any of your choices will work fine for you, WordPress seems to be very popular for single-person blogs, and Drupal is used for some very major sites, so you know it's capable of just about anything.

I myself use Drupal for 2 of my sites -- www.AlanTutt.com, and www.ChooseToBelieveBook.com.

It's very easy to install (especially if your web host has Fantastico), fairly easy to configure (considering its incredible flexibility), and really easy to use once installed. Adding modifications to it is also very simple, as you never have to touch the code - just upload the new mod, go into the admin area, activate it, and then configure whatever options it has.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JamesGarry

The blogging platform wars are getting really interesting and much of the discussion I find myself in lately revolves around what is happening with various CMS systems. The market can essentially be defined into 3 major camps: remotely hosted, self hosted, and community based systems. I have used pretty much every blogging platform available and each of them has its ups and downs. In this article I will cover the best options for each area taking into account price, usability, market share and of course SEO potential.

Guest sarahGarry

I really like WordPress. So many plugins are available to really make your blog soar.

The free WordPress service at wordpress.com is great but has some limitations. For example, if you are into monetizing your blogs, you will have a hard time here.

For my WordPress blogs, I choose to host them myself simply for the freedom it offers.

• 11 months later...
Guest Supriemepack

Why do people always ignore the op, and repeatedly say wordpress even though he specifically stated that he is interested in something else? I'm as big a fan of wordpress as everyone else, but if the guy stated he's not interested in wordpress, why can't we just not post it?

Regards,

Where in the OP does he say he doesnt want WordPress - all he says is that he has sen that along with several others ! As much as I like Joomla and to a lesser extent Drupal (personally for me that is) these are far too big and more complicated than required. They are CMS and not specific blog software - brilliant at what they do. I have used WordPress as blog software from quite a few CubeCart sites for clients - it is easy to install, easy to use and very well written.

Ian

Why do people always ignore the op, and repeatedly say wordpress even though he specifically stated that he is interested in something else? I'm as big a fan of wordpress as everyone else, but if the guy stated he's not interested in wordpress, why can't we just not post it?

Regards,

I have decided to create a blog that links off of my ecommerce website. It will be in a subdirectory, www.yoursite.com/blog. I will have links from the blog onto our regular website and of course vice versa our ecommerce site will have a link to our blog.

We are running the ecommerce website already and I'm wondering which software would work best to compliment the ecommerce site. We have seen Joomla, WordPress, Expression Engine, and Drupal.

We just plan to have a basic blog and it won't necessarily be a standalone website. Most blogging will be done by one person and we just want to have separate categories for the subject areas on the blog. We'd want the ability to have pictures within our posts and hyperlinks to our ecommerce site along with standard HTML in the posts. We'd also likely want to get a custom template done at a later date. Which solution would work best for these type of needs?

Joomla - already had been intergated into Oscommerce.

Might be a better start with that. Personally I have used WordPress before which I thought one of the better ones out there - however never was need to be intergated into oscommerce - it was a separet project. But looks likes someone already done that too... WordPress › Support Tags  os commerce

Quite possably using the same process to include Expression Engine, Drupal etc... into oscommerce or osCMax.

• 2 months later...
Guest marlindaniel

I vote for word press both personally and behalf of the business. Its software is very easy to understand and creation of blogs also very easy when compared to other blogging softwares. And most exciting and excellent feature of wordpress is blog content management system. Having custom themes also very easy with wordpress.

I find wordpress works very well and use a Firefox add on called Scribefox to remotely post to it. Makes it a lot easier to update my blogs. Wordpress is also very modifiable (if its on your own server and not a hosted by them).