Hosting Plan

Guest rapidweb

Guest rapidweb

Ready to install my first CubeCart store. Will go with Version 4. Manny more will hopefully follow. Thinking to go with one of the following:

Host Gator

Yahoo

Go Daddy

Any suggestions????

• 1 month later...

I personally agree but it is horses for courses. They are generally cheap (although never as cheap as they first appear, there are always other costs down the line) but you get what you pay for. Cheap hosting equals no help with installation and no post-installation support which some hosting companies build into their packages and as said previously, massively overloaded servers.

Take a quick look through these forums at the number of people having problems either with installing or upgrading what is a well designed and a relatively easy to install product like CubeCart and then take a look at which hosting companies they are with.

If you are serious about wanting an E-Commerce website it is going to take a lot of time and effort on your part to stand any chance - why handicap yourself right from the start !

Ian

Guest knaggsy

I have much experience when it comes to hosting companies and it totally depends on what kind of traffic and demand you are wanting from your e-commerse store.

A small, reletivly low traffic store you can get away with shared hosting. But i would say for most stores you would want to be looking at a VPS. These give you more memory and system rescources to ensure you get better performance while at a cost. If you get one with plesk you can then easily migrate to larger servers as you grow. For several sites ive setup and run ive done this, which all now need a dedicated server box.

What i personally reccomend to everyone is www.eukhost.com; but i dont like to advertise for perticular companies. Just look for a company with good support and good reviews that dont overload their servers; only been on their VPS and above packages but i must say they are extremely good. EUK Host is a good example of what you want to look for: 24/7 support and managed servers (i.e. they ook after the server and perform updates for you). With a managed option yes they cost slightly more, but it moves alot of pressure off yourself; expecially if you havnt done servers before.

I made the mistake origionally putting cubecart on shared hosting, it didnt last more than 6 months. Went to a vps for 8 more months before investing in a didicated server. But my sites have quite abit of traffic; so its somthing to weigh up on your own.

I have much experience when it comes to hosting companies and it totally depends on what kind of traffic and demand you are wanting from your e-commerse store.

A small, reletivly low traffic store you can get away with shared hosting. But i would say for most stores you would want to be looking at a VPS. These give you more memory and system rescources to ensure you get better performance while at a cost. If you get one with plesk you can then easily migrate to larger servers as you grow. For several sites ive setup and run ive done this, which all now need a dedicated server box.

What i personally reccomend to everyone is www.eukhost.com; but i dont like to advertise for perticular companies. Just look for a company with good support and good reviews that dont overload their servers; only been on their VPS and above packages but i must say they are extremely good. EUK Host is a good example of what you want to look for: 24/7 support and managed servers (i.e. they ook after the server and perform updates for you). With a managed option yes they cost slightly more, but it moves alot of pressure off yourself; expecially if you havnt done servers before.

I made the mistake origionally putting cubecart on shared hosting, it didnt last more than 6 months. Went to a vps for 8 more months before investing in a didicated server. But my sites have quite abit of traffic; so its somthing to weigh up on your own.

A VPS is a good bet for sites that have really grown and are getting many hundreds or thousands of visitors per day (depends on a lot of factors such as image size used on products, length of time on site, digital downloads? etc) but a good shared hosting plan with a reputable hosting company that as you said doesnt overload their servers (which all of the big companies and all of the very cheap hosting companies do - it is the only way they can charge the prices they do!!) is still fine for a lot and certainly for all start-up stores.

It doesnt have to be Plesk in order to have a migration path, CPanel allows you exactly the same flexibility and in fact has functionality built in to do a server move automatically for you. I prefer CPanel myself and that in combination with WHM is what I use but it is personal preference (or usually what you are used to).

The whole point of a VPS is that you arent affected by other users on the system - you have dedicated memory, CPU and disk resources although you are in a "shared environment". In many ways a good VPS setup works better than a dedicated server - with the best ones you can dynamically add nodes (extra system resources) as your requirements increase and get a "system" that will out-perform a dedicated server. Of course it is possible to cluster dedicated servers together if needed.

Regards

Ian