Do I have to pay to get bugs fixed in CubeCart?

CubeCart Support  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Could someone please tell me why I have to pay to get in touch with support to get a rather important bug fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

It just doesn't seem right. By a long shot!!!!!!!

If I do pay and it's a bug do I get my money back (which would be the ethical thing to do)?

Thanks and have a great day!

Edit: I guess you can't edit the topic title. I would have taken out the all CAPS.

Could someone please tell me why I have to pay to get in touch with support to get a rather important bug fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

It just doesn't seem right. By a long shot!!!!!!!

If I do pay and it's a bug do I get my money back (which would be the ethical thing to do)?

Thanks and have a great day!

Edit: I guess you can't edit the topic title. I would have taken out the all CAPS.

Depends what you call a reasonable amount of time - maintenance and functionality releases are made pretty often for version 4 and even still for version 3

Anyone can log a bug via the bug tracker available from these forums and anybody can track the progress of all "bugs" logged here (a lot logged arent actually bugs but still need to be looked at).

There are quite a few experienced people helping out in these forums free of charge helping to resolve lots of issues but only a few turn out to be actual bugs. Most are because people dont have the right environment to install CubeCart, cant read the instructions, play around with the code afterwards, incorrectly install mods or just dont understand the functionality.

Do you expect Microsoft to offer you free personalised and instant support ? Have you seen what they charge for this ? Support, whether direct from CubeCart, as part of a hosting package like I and a couple of other people offer or on a case by case basis which many can and do offer, can seem expensive in comparison to the price of the product. However that is because you are not paying thousands for a great product. Have a think about the amount that you would want to charge per hour for any service that you could provide and then take a gamble on the number of times somebody might want that service during a year and how long it would take to sort out each individual problem and see what figure you come up with.

Regards

Ian

Anyone can log a bug via the bug tracker available from these forums and anybody can track the progress of all "bugs" logged here (a lot logged arent actually bugs but still need to be looked at).

I don't call weeks acceptable to have a semi-major bug fixed or even acknowledged via the tracker so that one is out. So it's pay or sit and wait.

Most are because people dont have the right environment to install CubeCart, cant read the instructions, play around with the code afterwards, incorrectly install mods or just dont understand the functionality.

Most but not all. I fall in the latter. CubeCart has to be one of the easiest installs there is for an ecommerce package. It's hard to go wrong with this one if you make sure you read the prerequisites first.

Do you expect Microsoft to offer you free personalised and instant support ?

Why yes, and they do. Ever tried their antivirus OneCare support?

Have you seen what they charge for this ? Support, whether direct from CubeCart, as part of a hosting package like I and a couple of other people offer or on a case by case basis which many can and do offer, can seem expensive in comparison to the price of the product. However that is because you are not paying thousands for a great product. Have a think about the amount that you would want to charge per hour for any service that you could provide and then take a gamble on the number of times somebody might want that service during a year and how long it would take to sort out each individual problem and see what figure you come up with.

Pro CubeCart advertisement. I can respect that, after all your offering business services based on it.

Do you expect Microsoft to offer you free personalised and instant support ?

Why yes, and they do. Ever tried their antivirus OneCare support?

OneCare has only just become free, it was a chargeable commodity from it's inception till very recently.

Actually, I've just checked the OneCare site and it's still a chargeable product... I'm sure I heard MS are waiving the fees. Oh well.

OneCare has only just become free, it was a chargeable commodity from it's inception till very recently. Actually, I've just checked the OneCare site and it's still a chargeable product... I'm sure I heard MS are waiving the fees. Oh well.

I hadn't heard that. I was just referring to the support they were offering after product purchase which was meant to show that they did offer free (free being a relative term seeing as you paid for the software just like CubeCart) personalized service and the fact you had somebody on the phone inside of 15 minutes if you followed their support procedure when you had an issue with the Onecare software.

I had heard a few months ago about Microsoft changing their plans for Onecare. I just can't remember what it was, but you were right in thinking that you heard something about it.

Regards

Guest Brivtech

What bug are you referring to? Can you link it for us?

There is no official policy regarding the speed at which bugs are fixed - Sometimes I find the progress can be painstakingly slow depending on their schedule. I understand the developers take the severity of the problem into account when fixing, but things that you and I may find severe, they may not, and vice versa.

Their actual technical support from what I hear is normally quite efficient at resolving problems, however, fixing bugs does not come under the scope of this.

So, what can Devellion do to improve this? I can't answer that for them.

I'm fortunate to have a level of programming high enough that I can address about 90% of problems without their help, and have rarely ever used their support over the past 3½ years of using CubeCart. I don't expect everyone else to become programmers, but if something was preventing my business from earning money, I'd contract out third party help to try and resolve it - I see people on here complaining about spending money to fix things, forgetting that this expenditure is an investment, and should make them money.

I'm going off into a different point here, but touching on it as it's raised quite a lot when support is brought into question. You were asking that if you spend the money for the purposes of resolving a problem that if it turns out to be a bug should you get your money back? I can't actually see how much support costs, as mine isapparently all up to date having just recently purchased a couple more licenses. Is it that expensive? Would you get your money back? I don't think so, because you're covered for other problems at the same time. Support just never works that way.

I think at this moment, I'd let people here know what the bug is for a second opinion to better answer your question.

Is it that expensive? Would you get your money back? I don't think so, because you're covered for other problems at the same time.
I understand your a moderator. Did you read the link posted above by Robsta? If I find something wrong with the software that is a design flaw why should I pay for it considering the software is updated and bugs could be introduced on every new version. Why would I want to be covered for problems I don't have? I'm not going to be taking out an insurance policy for this type of purpose as it applies to these types of situations and this software. I know one could reference lots of different types of services and products which make use of extended warranties, insurance policies etc. but I am talking specifically about CubeCart and the way I think it is fair to handle bug related issues.

Support just never works that way.

Yes it does and it's fair. Please read on. If I had read the following pledge before posting we may not be having this communication. It actually turns out it was only posted a couple of days before I started this topic so this topic may have had much more relevance. As it is CubeCart took the wind out of my sails :-)

Don't worry about going to the link. Here is what it says which I find perfectly acceptable at the present.

Our Technical Support Pledge

As we do not charge ongoing fees for our products, they all come with an initial, specific period of technical support access time. When your support time has expired and you need to contact our staff, we promise that upon request we will refund any "Top-Up" support time purchased if your store runs the latest version of our software and the reported issue is caused by a bug in unmodified code.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's always interesting to hear another point of view.

Regards

Guest Brivtech

Well, you obviously know better than me. Still not knowing what the problem actually is, I can't help you any further, but at least it seems that you're happier with some new developments as you mentioned.