OScommerce or cubecart4?

Guest Fuzquia

Guest Fuzquia

I am looking to start on my second website which is an extension of my current business. I have only been using cubecart since version 3, and although I am quite happy with the actual cubecart software, I have never known anything else to compare.

So has anyone used both cubecart 4 and the latest OScommerce? (anyone used v3.0 Alpha 5?)

My reasons (feel free to correct me if u feel different!) for even considering OScommerce over cubecart are:

1. You have to buy cubecart support. New pledge is slight improvement but still shocking IMHO. Find this terrible for a product that charges to buy (if you purchase v.4 obviously) in the first place then charges you for any kind of official support. I understand support cannot be offered on free products. But what software charges you to buy and then does not offer any kind of support? Not even a staff official on their forum? I pay much less for my hosting and have 24/7 support.

2. More and more community forum postings seem to go unanswered. Doesn't help a non-web designer! Community seems to have gotten smaller?

3. Recently emailed 6 contributors on .org site and not one could take on my work. Simply too busy. When working on cubecart store I want to use official contributors (.org site) for peace of mind. OScommerce seems to have people offering free services/mods on a daily basis.

4. Most mods I have needed via cubecart I have to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to pay for mods as they are very cheap, but in comparison OScommerce seems to have sooo many for free.

I know subjects such as community activity etc are not the fault of cubecart etc, I am not blaming them for any of the above. They are who they are etc. I am just trying to take into account cubecart as a whole compared to OScommerce. Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated...

I am looking to start on my second website which is an extension of my current business. I have only been using cubecart since version 3, and although I am quite happy with the actual cubecart software, I have never known anything else to compare.

So has anyone used both cubecart 4 and the latest OScommerce? (anyone used v3.0 Alpha 5?)

My reasons (feel free to correct me if u feel different!) for even considering OScommerce over cubecart are:

1. You have to buy cubecart support. New pledge is slight improvement but still shocking IMHO. Find this terrible for a product that charges to buy (if you purchase v.4 obviously) in the first place then charges you for any kind of official support. I understand support cannot be offered on free products. But what software charges you to buy and then does not offer any kind of support? Not even a staff official on their forum? I pay much less for my hosting and have 24/7 support.

2. More and more community forum postings seem to go unanswered. Doesn't help a non-web designer! Community seems to have gotten smaller?

3. Recently emailed 6 contributors on .org site and not one could take on my work. Simply too busy. When working on cubecart store I want to use official contributors (.org site) for peace of mind. OScommerce seems to have people offering free services/mods on a daily basis.

4. Most mods I have needed via cubecart I have to pay for. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to pay for mods as they are very cheap, but in comparison OScommerce seems to have sooo many for free.

I know subjects such as community activity etc are not the fault of cubecart etc, I am not blaming them for any of the above. They are who they are etc. I am just trying to take into account cubecart as a whole compared to OScommerce. Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Hi

Having used both OS commerce and cubecart there is no comparisson between the 2. I ran into so many problems with oscommerce it was unbelievable and the site was just getting slower and slower the larger it got and even the support via the forums is far superior for cubecart and in regards to paid for or not paid for all I can say is that you get what you pay for and I found many errors in mods for oscommerce.

Regards

David

Hi

Having used both OS commerce and cubecart there is no comparisson between the 2. I ran into so many problems with oscommerce it was unbelievable and the site was just getting slower and slower the larger it got and even the support via the forums is far superior for cubecart and in regards to paid for or not paid for all I can say is that you get what you pay for and I found many errors in mods for oscommerce.

Regards

David

I have used CubeCart both for my own sites and also supporting client sites for over 5 years now and also agree that there is no comparison. I have a lot more issues with the few OSCommerce sites that I support (having taken them on already built by somebody else) than I ever do with CubeCart sites. OSCommerce is just beginning to get there but still has a long way to go. If there is some functionality available in OSCommerce that isnt standard in CubeCart, then it will either have been developed as a mod (and the quality of the mods produced by the majority of authors is very high) or would be developed by somebody if it doesnt.

As David has said, you very much get what you pay for and the cost of setting up, hosting and supporting a cubecart site isnt very much for somebody serious about an online business.

Regards

Ian