Using Dreamweaver For Basic Customizing?

cherylb

hi - i'm trying to change the basic look of the kitablue skin ie content box header colour, various link text colours etc.

i've beeg using firebug to identify what i need to change in the layout & style css files.

however ii was wondering is there a "quick way" to do this in dreamweaver? - i loaded the page source code & added the layout/style css code to <head> but no css is applied when i test in browser

obviously i'm not heading in the right direction.

would therefore be very grateful for some pointers or advice as to what i'm doing wrong - cheers

hi - i'm trying to change the basic look of the kitablue skin ie content box header colour, various link text colours etc.

i've beeg using firebug to identify what i need to change in the layout & style css files.

however ii was wondering is there a "quick way" to do this in dreamweaver? - i loaded the page source code & added the layout/style css code to <head> but no css is applied when i test in browser

obviously i'm not heading in the right direction.

would therefore be very grateful for some pointers or advice as to what i'm doing wrong - cheers

To generate a cubecart page requires the css file, the template file and the php file so just adding the css to the head of a source code page won't give you a displayable page in Dreamweaver. You can set up server side options in Dreamweaver but I use a seperate test server for developing and checking changes to Cubecart.

To generate a cubecart page requires the css file, the template file and the php file so just adding the css to the head of a source code page won't give you a displayable page in Dreamweaver. You can set up server side options in Dreamweaver but I use a seperate test server for developing and checking changes to Cubecart.

many thanks for your reply however i'm not sure how i would use SSI to display the kitablue skin - cheryl

I have to admit I've never set up SSI on Dreamweaver so can't answer that for you. I use CC4.2.x on WampServer setting it up as a new site in Dreamweaver, see topic 33063 I test and modify in that enviroment using Dramweaver as the editor then transfer the files to my live site once I'm happy with the changes

I have to admit I've never set up SSI on Dreamweaver so can't answer that for you. I use CC4.2.x on WampServer setting it up as a new site in Dreamweaver, see topic 33063 I test and modify in that enviroment using Dramweaver as the editor then transfer the files to my live site once I'm happy with the changes

obc - thanks again - i installed WS 2.0i & my CC4 & its working fine.

however that said i'm still totally confused regarding the editing in DW.

when i open index.tpl (& other) all i get is a plain table with the placeholders - my question is can i relate the style & layout files so that i can change colours etc or is this not possible?

kindly appreciated.

however that said i'm still totally confused regarding the editing in DW.

when i open index.tpl (& other) all i get is a plain table with the placeholders - my question is can i relate the style & layout files so that i can change colours etc or is this not possible?

kindly appreciated.

I have to admit I've never tried to work on CC this way and taking a quick look I can't see how it would be done in DW

I have to admit I've never tried to work on CC this way and taking a quick look I can't see how it would be done in DW

so in DW you use it to "basically" move/delete the placeholders & edit the css files? - i've been using Firebug to identify the various bits & pieces then i change the files in notepad - i just thought there was some fancy trick to display more styles etc in DW.

Guest kay2010

so in DW you use it to "basically" move/delete the placeholders & edit the css files? - i've been using Firebug to identify the various bits & pieces then i change the files in notepad - i just thought there was some fancy trick to display more styles etc in DW.

The easiest way that I've found to modify cubecart is to uplaod the files to your web server or test server and goto the index page in your browser. You'll see the standard skin and layout. If you right click and goto 'VIEW SOURCE' and copy the code and paste it into a new HTML document in Dreamweaver and save it as say 'Homepage'. As long as it is saved within the root folder of the cubecart installation on your local machine you'll be able to see exactly how the css file styles everything within the page.

All you do now is modify the css directly within Dreameaver to see your changes take effect.

If you're adding new DIV's you'll need to open the .tpl file related to the page you're adding the DIV to and will need to add where necessary.

.......... As long as it is saved within the root folder of the cubecart installation on your local machine you'll be able to see exactly how the css file styles everything within the page.

kay many thanks for your reply - i tried something similar with the source code before in DW but couldn't get it to work.

i have my CC4 installation on wampserver (kindly suggested by OBC) that i modify using firebug & notpading the css & tpl's.

with regard to using DW i'm not sure if i got this part of your method right? - ie i downloaded the CC installed files from wampserver to my desktop & then placed the saved index page source code from DW in the root folder.

when i open the saved "homepage" file again in DW it still displays without any styles.

cheryl.

Yes, I use DW to basically modify any php, css, html, placeholders or anything else within the Cubecart files then I view the changes either in Wampserver if the changes are major or if just a tweek I tend to use my live server.