Which is the best domain/web hosting site to use

Guest chris brookes

Guest chris brookes

hi, new to CubeCart, have a domain and hosting account on godaddy.com. Having FTP connection issues etc at the moment.(Used the FTP client on godaddy, but it does not have features such as changing file permissions) I uploaded the CC files to the public_html folder. But when opening in web browser it defaults to a previous Index.html which I was using.(I deleted the Index.html and also the one in the root folder).

Can anyone help or suggest a web hosting website which is suitable to run CC on,

any help is apreciated :rolleyes:

hi, new to CubeCart, have a domain and hosting account on godaddy.com. Having FTP connection issues etc at the moment.(Used the FTP client on godaddy, but it does not have features such as changing file permissions) I uploaded the CC files to the public_html folder. But when opening in web browser it defaults to a previous Index.html which I was using.(I deleted the Index.html and also the one in the root folder).

Can anyone help or suggest a web hosting website which is suitable to run CC on,

any help is apreciated :rolleyes:

You'll probably get a flurry of recommendations - which I guess is what you're after.

However, your location, or more correctly, the location of your customers is important.

I generally don't recommend a US based host if you're a UK/European only store.

CubeCart works best under a Linux+Apache webserver, for most this would typically be "cPanel", so the quickest answer would be a cPanel based hosting system.

Windows can run CubeCart, but is not the best choice.

This may be what is causing your permission problems with GoDaddy(most Windows servers do not allow permission changing via FTP) - perhaps checking if you are on Windows, and swapping to their Linux hosting may help?

I assume the store is fairly small for now, and budget is an issue - so shared hosting is a reasonable assumption.

Personally- I recommend "Machine Networks" for their support and flexibility and have a few clients on their Servers.

They are UK based, so if you are in the US (or other)- you need someone to recommend a US host to get the best speed and support.

Just remember it will be hard to get everything for low price - so be reasonable.

Also don't be tempted by "unlimited" deals, what about all the other sites on that poor server... it'll be crawling along!

Hope this helps,

Jason

Guest chris brookes

any help is apreciated :)

You'll probably get a flurry of recommendations - which I guess is what you're after.

However, your location, or more correctly, the location of your customers is important.

I generally don't recommend a US based host if you're a UK/European only store.

CubeCart works best under a Linux+Apache webserver, for most this would typically be "cPanel", so the quickest answer would be a cPanel based hosting system.

Windows can run CubeCart, but is not the best choice.

This may be what is causing your permission problems with GoDaddy(most Windows servers do not allow permission changing via FTP) - perhaps checking if you are on Windows, and swapping to their Linux hosting may help?

I assume the store is fairly small for now, and budget is an issue - so shared hosting is a reasonable assumption.

Personally- I recommend "Machine Networks" for their support and flexibility and have a few clients on their Servers.

They are UK based, so if you are in the US (or other)- you need someone to recommend a US host to get the best speed and support.

Just remember it will be hard to get everything for low price - so be reasonable.

Also don't be tempted by "unlimited" deals, what about all the other sites on that poor server... it'll be crawling along!

Hope this helps,

Jason

Thank you for such a fast and useful reply. I am UK based and currently on the small scale. I came accross cPanel a few days ago, but didnt see the benefits of purchasing it for $425. On the website you recomended 'Machine networks' it mentions 'cPanel Control Panel' Is this the fully functioning cPanel software?

Also when you say 'Linux hosting' do you mean Linux operating system/Linux FTP protocol/Linux settings?

Could you also explain the Apache webserver.

Thank you for your time :)

Hi Chris,

basically, you don't need to purchase cPanel (unless you plan on running your own server). Many webhosts will have this installed for you, and it gives you pretty good control over email/ftp/databases etc.

I do recommend Machine Networks - but there will be many others. Try to pick a UK host, it should be much faster.

By Linux, yes - it'll be a Linux based distribution, and also Apache is the webserver mainly used by cPanel.

This gives you lots of control - I still develop the odd Windows web site and find cPanel more flexible.

Don't worry - you don't need to know anything about Linux, and I guess this puts many people off.

You'll upload files via FTP, and use cPanel to manage your account.

The good thing about cPanel, is the ability to run full account backups. This will give you a single file of your entire account. (database/settings/emails/files etc). This can be downloaded and given to a new host, or simply used as an offline backup.

When you do find a webhost, they will able to show you how to do this (its about 2 or 3 clicks)

Regards,

Jason

Guest chris brookes

I have registered with MachineNetworks and successfully installed CC. Thanks for all your help, one last question. How do i change the text on the homepage where it says:

'Welcome to CubeCart

Congratulations. You have successfully installed CubeCart.

This message can be edited using the Rich HTML Text Editor and you can add vibrant content to help sell your products.

Please remember that there is a license fee to pay to remove or edit our copyright notices. '

• 5 months later...
Guest money7eagl

Marble hosting service performs data backups daily so, you’ll never be anxious the prospect of losing any of your precious data. Marble host backups use a monstrous 2.5 Gigabits of network connectivity.