Desktop problem

Guest kalebaha

Guest kalebaha

Im pretty stupid when it comes to things about computers.

i know a little bit but this is just beyond me i dont know if its a hardware problem software problem or what.

But i reformatted and reinstalled Windows xp Home SP2 due to virus problem, sumhow got a virus and it $#@^#@ over my computer and i wasnt able to access internet, download nearly anything, or even system restore... so i reinstalled the windows and thought that i will just start all over again,

but wen i tried to set up internet nothing would work...still... i went to device manager and said that everything was working except: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, RAID Controller, RAID Controller.

They all show yellow bubble with exclamation mark in them and i try update, reinstall and watever but i cant cause no internet... i have no othr CDs other than the windows xp home SP2 disk.

i know my computer works with my internet cause it was working... before the virus.

i dont know much about the desktop because my dad is the person who gave it to me and always messed with it.

Novak Vera

gia sÆ°

Not being able to figure this out means (and this is friendly advice) take your system to a tech: Geek Squad at Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. (Sorry for being so USA-centric. You may have similar "Quick-n-Dirty Repair" resources available where you are.) They should be able to get a generic ethernet controller driver installed. Once that's installed and you can get n the Internet, Windows Update or the automatic Hardware Update Wizard should find the right drivers.

If your ethernet controller is fairly standard in any way, Windows should have installed the drivers for it when you reinstalled Windows.

The Audio and RAID controllers will require the CD of drivers that came with the motherboard - but you can download them all by going to your motherboard support site.

I know a lot about computers but virtually nothing about automobile engines. That's why I take my car to the dealer for repairs.

The following is an experiment only. It may work, it may not.

Right-click on the Ethernet controller device with the yellow flag and select Properties. If Windows has successfully queried the device, it's model and manufacturer will be listed. Take note of that.

Right-click on the Ethernet controller device with the yellow flag and select Update Driver...

Since you can't connect to the Internet, select "No, not this time." Click Next.

Select "Install from a list or a specific location." Click Next.

Select "Don't search. I will choose.." Click Next.

If the "Show compatible hardware" box is checked, fine. Pick one of those. If not, see if your device is listed. If not, select Realtek as the manufacturer and RTL8029-based (Generic) as the adapter. That's about as universally basic as you can get. Click Next. The driver will get installed and the yellow flag should go away.

Finish getting connected to the Internet.