Gift Certificates - different Shipping Rate

Guest holney

Hi everyone

Simple (I hope) question - probably me being dumb.

I have a shop that sells lovely cheese. There's a flat rate shipping cost of £9.50 across the whole store.

Now whilst £9.50 for shipping boxes of cheese is OK, it's a little over the top for shipping a little gift certificate which in reality costs the price of a first class stamp to send.

How can I change the shipping rate just for gift certificates?

Many thanks and seasons greetings to you all!

Helen

Hi Jason

Many thanks for your reply. I haven't actually set up a product (or category) for gift certificates - I'm using the gift certificate feature that comes built into CubeCart.

What you suggest would work if CubeCart's gift certificate is a product in a category - does anyone know if that's the case and if so, what category it's in?

Thanks again

Helen

Hi Helen

You might be better to use the By Weight shipping module. In the Gift Certificates module, you can set the weight. Set this to 0 and in the shipping module set the value 1:0.50, 9999:9.50. Now, I am presuming that the boxes of cheese will weigh over 1KG? If so, that is ok but you will need to enter a weight value in add/edit product to all of your products. You could set all the cheese to just 2KG (Even if a box weighs 5KG), as the previous values will set shipping to 50p, up to 1KG and anything over (Up to 9999KG), to £9.50. The high figure (9999KG) just makes it 'any weight' as it is pretty unlikely that any order will weigh over this. If you just ship to the UK, set the value GB in Zone 1 Countries: in the shipping module. If a box of cheese does weigh under a kilo, still set it to 2KG or it will only charge your customer 50p postage. Also, you will need to disable your Flat Rate shipping module.

Hope that helps

Lee

Hi Helen

If you want the true weight to be shown for any cheese orders, it is prob best to set the actual weight of the boxes of cheese. ie if you set them all to 2KG and a customer orders 2 x 5KG boxes, for example, it would only show 4KG on the checkout page if they were all set to 2KG. If you do have any boxes that weigh under a kilo, you can make a small hack to the By Weight module. As it is, it will only use values greater than 0. Then you could set the shipping to 0:0.50, 9999:9.50

Lee