Hard code in template

Guest shockmere02

Guest shockmere02

Hello,

I'm new to Cube Cart. I'm a beginner web designer and have taken on a project that i'm learning as I go. The site i'm working on is www.snootypeacock.com. If you take a look at it, in the upper left hand corner of the site there are the categores. Necklaces, Bracelets, Earrings, ChitChat, Press Attention and Sale Items.

When i'm in the admin, and I look under categories, ChitChat, Press Attention and Sale Items are not listed. The links do not work at all. I found in the ftp listed under my skin/styletemplates/boxes/categories.tpl, I found the three that do not work and corrected them with the correct urls. I save it, and go back to site to test it and the categories are still wrong. I don't know where else to look to correct these.

Please help

Corey

Welcome shockmere02! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

There are a couple of things you should keep in mind: Category lists have fly-out sub-lists, and database query results are cached.

The categories.tpl file should not have been edited to show hard-coded categories (unless that is exactly what you want to do and you know why it is that you need hard-coded categories). The categories.inc.php file uses the XTemplate system which continuously builds a list of all top-level categories and javascript-powered drop-down or pop-out sublists for the subcategories (is ChitChat and Press Attention sub-categories?)

Sale Items is a pseudo-category that CC automatically creates and populates with all items that are on sale. If there are no items on sale or the store is not in sale mode, Sale Items category will not exist.

In the admin screens, database maintenance, try Clear Cache. This may fix some seemingly unexpected results. Also, while developing your store and while you have just a few dozen products, in General Settings, set Use Cache? to No. This will always keep any changes from inadvertently getting stale in a cache. When done developing or when your products get into the hundreds or thousands, then switch it back on.

Guest shockmere02

What did you add to the template?

I didn't. It was hard coded by the previous webmaster. I ended up finding the hard code in categories.tpl and was able to assign the proper url. I believe these were hard coded because they are not product categories instead, they are links to two other pages.

Guest shockmere02

Hello,

If only I could edit any of the .tpl I can fix the home page. I'm setting up my clients site on my server and have installed cubecart. The problem is all the .tpl files are locked and I can't edit them. I can in her existing sites host but not on mine. I have changed file permissions and nothing seems to work. The copyright removal key wouldn't be the problem would it? I sent CC a support ticket hoping they can shed some light as to why I can't edit any of the .tpl files.

Any ideas?

Corey

Are you saying the tpl files that you cannot edit are on a server for which you have physical access?

If so, what programmer's editor are you using in attempting to open them for editing? Does the editor decline to open the files because of an unfamiliar filetype?

Does the editor merely report that the file is locked as read-only or does the operating system say the current user does not have permission to access these files?