Want Thumbnail Image on Products List in Admin

Dirty Butter

It's very helpful to me to see the actual image in the Product list, instead of the image icon. I know I can click on it to see the image, so that's tolerable.

BUT, once I'm in the product listing it's much more awkward to see the primary image. It involves looking at the store item, right clicking on the image to see its name, going to Image in the Product listing and scanning down the image list to find the right one ... and THEN click on it to see which item it is. Rather than do that I search for the item number on the store to see which toy has been ordered so I can go pull it. VERY AWKWARD and time consuming.

Is there a way to put the product image itself preferably on the General tab of Products, or on the Images tab?

• 2 months later...

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and seeing your post made me finally get down to it. I've always hated having to scroll and click into the folder tree in my images folder to figure out what images were selected for a product. It was especially horrible back in earlier versions when it kept forgetting image selections.

I had to alter two files to make it happen: admin/skins/default/templates/products.index.php and admin/sources/products.index.inc.php. I have attached a ZIP of the changed files.

A couple of caveats:

* this is 5.0.7 code, don't use it on other versions.

* I know the HTML/layout using tables and whatnot is horribly deprecated and old-fashioned. There's a reason I stopped being a web developer and started selling stuff online. Anyone who wants to rework it to the latest standards can be my guest.

Something's not right yet. I emptied cache, including image cache, and the image file doesn't show, nor does the thumbnail.

Problem may not be with your modification. I went back to the original versions of the two files and now realize something is wrong with the File Manager on both our sites. All images show correctly in the stores, but the File Manager says there are no images.