Resolved - Favicon

Guest yorky7557

Guest yorky7557

Hi all,

Newb here so I'll begin with an apology :dizzy:

I've got a number of Q's at the mo but trying to work through them best I can. Perhaps someone with far more experience can point me in the right direction please?

I generated a new favicon using 2 different sites to generate my specific favicon.ico. I uploaded it to my /store directory to replace the existing favicon.ico file. Still no favicon displayed in my browser. I tried a second site to generate the .ico file but no joy. I haven't changed the file permissions from the original file. Any pointers guys? Cheers

Yorky

Have you cleared your browser cache completely? sometimes re-adding the site to your favourites can refresh it. You've not mentioned which browser you're using, vital information really as Ie is the hardest to get the favicon to change.

According to the W3C organization, the preferred method of specifying a favicon is by adding a line in the head section of the html document. Having only looked at the Kurouto skin, I will assert that none of the CC5 stock skins have implemented this preferred method:

(http://www.w3.org/20...0/howto-favicon): <link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="http://example.com/favicon.ico"> Replace ico with the actual filetype and the href value with the actual location of the image file.

Missing this <link>, some browsers will also look in a default location: the domain root. So, www.site.com/store/favicon.ico probably won't work as /store/ is not the domain root.

So, in the file main.php found in your skin folder, add the <link> line, or place the favicon.ico file in your main root folder (where www.mysite.com without the /store/ part points to).

Guest yorky7557

Thanks to both Robsta and bsmither for their informed responses.

My browser in use presently is Chrome [someone has to... :sourcerer: ] Cache flushed and problem not solved. Also checked out the same with IE &FF.

Just successfully tested [having flushed cache!] moving the favicon.ico to the domain root directory from the /store/ - all appears to work as expected using Chrome. IE doesn't seem to want to play at this point. I'll test out the purist form suggest by bsmither tomorrow.

Hopefully, through my innocent ignorance, it may help others to short cut their learning curve too? Grateful to the knowledgeable ones for their guidance and patience.

Cheers

Yorky

• 5 months later...
Guest 2001web

Having the same issue, the favicon icon has been replaced. All browser history and cache removed, clients admin cache cleared, the new favicon shows in admin but can NOT get it to show on front end of site.

Hi, note I went through this on a Wordpress site also recently where the new favicon wasn't replacing the default 'theme' base icon. It seems IE 'holds on' to the cache for the favicon differently than normal site images. Stupidly hitting refresh helps, but also try dumb things, like remove the favicon, clear cache, refresh page, close browser, start again, refresh page, close browser, upload new favicon .. .rinse, repeat. Since IE can also use the favicon to use in the application bar at botttom of page by dragging it there, it really holds on to it. Using something like SUPERAntiSpyware to "scrub" stuff on your PC, and also go to the disk tools cleanup option to remove all the temp files from your HD, can help. (This refers to IE9/Win7-64bit in my case.)

I've also found it simply does not hurt to put the favicon in couple of places

/public-root/favicon.ico

/store/favicon.ico

Sorry if this post is redundant, but hopefully if it helps, it helps.

Guest 2001web

Ok very strangely this started working all of a sudden, I can only put this down to isp caching???? Very strange though that for almost an hour the icon showed in admin area but not front end.