category meta title doubles

slic535

i am using 5.1.4 and when i use the meta tags in the the categories and then check on google it seems to double the info. if i put in say switchblade knives - direct knife sales then look on google it will say switchblade knives-direct knife sales-direct knife sales. how do you make it not do that?

Is direct knife sales the name of your site? What you've likely got it on is to merge the meta data, which means the category meta title is getting joined with your standard site title (direct knife sales), and causing the duplication.

You can either take the direct knife sales bit out of the category, or in general settings, there should be a part where you can tell it not to merge them and have the categories overwrite

yes that is the name of the site. i took it off merge meta data and went to replace global meta data but it does the same thing. if i were to use the disabled(use global data only) what would the outcome be? in search engines browser title, whatever i put in there sticks on the end of all the categories in the search engines.

directknifesales.com/silver-butterfly-knife-pk939sl-131.html

directknifesales.com/black-butterfly-knife-225bk.html

directknifesales.com/blue-comb-knife-ckbl.html look at what it does

Applause Pink Seated Rabbit Pink Satin Ears it seems its doing it to yours also

have you tried using link sleuth

Edited by Dirty Butter
removed link to commercial software link

Every page or product in our store has its own custom seo url, meta keywords, and description. I wish I could tell you why ours are different, but I can't. As for ranking, we've been selling for a very long time and get good linking from our other domain, plushmemories.com. That site has been in msnbc.com and was published in USA Today in July. So if our page rank is good that isn't surprising.

I do it myself. Choosing item titles so they are packed with keywords is important. Every time I add a new product I create the custom url, keywords, and copy the Description over as the Meta Description. It doesn't take that long. It took a while to get all the Category and doc info in, but now that it's done that never changes.

I joined The Find for free to get the UpFront badge, send a feed to TheFind for free, and also send a feed to Google Merchant. I use a free CC mod to get an automatic RSS feed, too. Right now I'm using a free coupon for Google Adwords automatically connected to our Merchant feed. Not sure if I'll pay to keep that going or not. Then there is a Pinterest Board for our Sale Items and the AddThis and Share Your Cart CC plugins on the site, too. I use Dirty Butter as my name on all the forums and blogs, too, and have for close to 10 years and always put our stores in my sigs. Anything you can do to get links to your products out there will eventually increase your page rank.

One thing I noticed in looking at your store is that you stick what appears to be your inventory number in the title and then use the whole title as the product code. I don't know if that's hurting you or not, but it looks kind of odd to me.