Transferring data from V3 to V5

Guest mainplus

Guest mainplus

I am currently using CC V3 with a few mods. I intend to do a brand new installation of the latest version on a new server but need to transfer all the data from the old version.  We intend to parallel run the two versions until we are sure that we have loaded everything correctly.

Is the database structure the same between version 3 and version 5 and hence it should just be a case of doing an SQL export of the old data and ruinning the commands against the new version, or are there things I need to look out for?

I know the mods may well have added additional fields etc, but I think I can probably sort that out - MySQL will always object if I try lo load a field that doesn't exist :-)

Any help and advice regarding the best way of transferring the data would be appreciated.  If some sort of tranfer utility exists that would be even better.

Many thanks

Dave

Upgrading from an "out-of-place" earlier version installation has a few things that must be setup.

FTP the CC5 codebase to the new server, but do not install.

From the CC3 installation, copy over:

/includes/global.inc.php

/includes/ini.inc.php

/images/uploads/*

Using a utility that manages databases on the new server, manually create an empty schema (that is, just create a database with no tables) and a user with password, using the details found in the global.inc.php file. Then grant the standard permissions to that user against that schema.

Make a backup of the MySQL database. Restore it on the new server.

What we have now is a CC3 database, and the access credentials to match in globals.inc.php, available to CC5. When CC5 is run, it will notice a few things and assume the setup script needs to run. When the setup script is run, it will notice a few things and ask if you want to upgrade (be sure to mind the Do NOT Drop Tables or similar question) or install clean.

Upgrading from CC3 (as opposed to the latest version of CC4) will generate a few SQL errors concerning the tables, but they can be ignored.