Resolved - Clean Install of 5.2.2 completed but get blank screen

Ok i see that several people have this problem but I still cant pin down exacly what to do. here is some background info:

I am creating a clean install of 5.2.2. When I get started it says I do not have ioncube or Zend optimizer installed but I can change it after I complete the install.  So I complete the install and i have the two links: one to go to admin and one to go to storefront. However when I click either of them I get a blank white page. 

In looking at the Go Daddy support forums it says I can use Zend Guard Loader if I am using PHP 5.3 and if i have 5.2 or older i should use Zend optimizer. Is that what is causing it? Should I be using Zend optimizer instead? How do I even know which one I am using? Can I use Zend optimizer with php 5.3? Should I be using php 5.2? Do I need to edit the php.ini file?  In looking at the go Daddy support forums it also says if I want to use zend optimizer I should disable APC on my hosting account and it gives me a line to add to the php.ini file, which I did, but I dont know if i did it correctly. I am thouroughly confused!

Is there an easy way to fix this?  Why does this have to be so difficult? Help!!!

What GoDaddy should be answering is, "Is Zend alrteady loaded?" Saying, "You can use Zend" does not mean they have already got it installed in your PHP installation.

Create a file called phpinfo.php and for its contents, have:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Have your browser call for this: www.domain.com/phpinfo.php

In the massive list that gets shown, you will find at the bottom of the top section, something like:

This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright © 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.0.7, Copyright © 2002-2011, by ionCube Ltd., and
    with Xdebug v2.1.0, Copyright © 2002-2010, by Derick Rethans

Yours may say with Zend Guard etc.

If this list does not show as having Zend or ionCube, then CubeCart will not work.

If this list shows as having Zend, then in the file /includes/global.inc.php, make the statement look like:

$glob['encoder'] = 'zend';

(CubeCart still has a bug that always reports false when looking for evidence that Zend is installed.)

CubeCart says you can install the ionCube or Zend Guard later. A better phrasing would be:

"CubeCart could not determine if you have ionCube or Zend Guard installed in your PHP environment. CubeCart will not function without either PHP package available. Contact your server administrator."

After installation, CubeCart defaults to ionCube as the decoder if nothing specific could be determined.

Ok, so here is what I did.  

1. Create a file called phpinfo.php and for its contents, have:

<?php
phpinfo
();
?>

2. I typed in: www.mydomainname.com/phpinfo.php

In the massive list that gets shown, I found the following statement:

This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright © 1998-2013 Zend Technologies

3. So I went intot he file /includes/global.inc.php, and made the statement look like:

$glob['encoder'] = 'zend';

4. Now when i go back tot the cubecart finished screen and click on 'Admin Control Panel' or 'Storefront', I get  the following message:

Zend Guard Run-time support missing!

One more more files on this web site were encoded by ZendGuard and the required run-time support is not installed orproperly configured.

For the Web site user

This means that this Web server is not configured correctly to runthe files that it contains. Please contact the Web site'sadministrator/webmaster and inform them of this problem and give themthe URL you are trying to display to help them in diagnosing theproblem.

For The Site Administrator/Web Master

One or more files on your site were encoded with Zend Guard. Thismay be third party libraries that were provided to you by an ISV. Toallow these files to properly run you need to download and installone of the Zend guard run-time libraries. This is either ZendOptimizer or Zend Loader. The proper files can be downloaded fromhttp://www.zend.com/guard/downloads.This software is provided free of charge.

General Disclaimer: Zend Technologies is not responsible tothe configuration and setup of web sites using Zend Guard technology.Please contact your software vendor if these components were providedby an ISV or consult your Zend Guard Users Guide if these files wereencoded by your organization.

5. So I went in and downloaded both the Zend Guard and the Zend loader and uploaded both to my server in he root direcory but still I get the same message. Do I have to "install" soemthing?

For the zend loader, I had to do the following:

Zend Guard Loader installation instructions
-------------------------------------------

1. Extract the Zend Loader package.

2. Locate and extract the ZendGuardLoader.so (Linux) or ZendLoader.dll (Windows) that corresponds to your php version.

3. Add the following line to your php.ini file for loading the ZendGuardLoader:
   Linux and Mac OS X:      zend_extension=<full_path_to_ZendGuardLoader.so>
   Windows non-thread safe: zend_extension=<full_path_to_ZendLoader.dll>

4. Add an aditional line to your php.ini for enabling ZendGuardLoader
  ; Enables loading encoded scripts. The default value is On
  zend_loader.enable=1

5. Optional: following lines can be added your php.ini file for ZendGuardLoader configuration:

; Disable license checks (for performance reasons)
     zend_loader.disable_licensing=0
   ; The Obfuscation level supported by Zend Guard Loader. The levels are detailed in the official Zend Guard Documentation. 0 - no obfuscation is enabled
     zend_loader.obfuscation_level_support=3
   ; Path to where licensed Zend products should look for the product license. For more information on how to create a license file, see the Zend Guard User Guide
     zend_loader.license_path= 

6. If you use Zend debugger as well, please make sure to load it after the Zend guard Loader

7. If you use ioncube loader, please make sure to load it before Zend guard Loader

8. Restart your Web server.

So i did steps 1-4.  Now what am I missing?

Allow me to restate:

with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.0.7, Copyright Â© 2002-2011, by ionCube Ltd., and

Yours may say with Zend Guard... etc.

The bold parts are the important parts.

Your phpinfo didn't include any of the bold parts. So your host has not installed either ionCube or Zend Guard/Optimizer.

Are you running your own server? You said:

"So I went in and downloaded both the Zend Guard and the Zend loader and uploaded both to my server in the root directory."

You wouldn't put these files in the server's root directory (nor in CubeCart's main directory either). The file appropriate for you, which you would determine from Zend's download page information, would best be placed in the PHP's folder 'etc'.

Then, in PHP's php.ini file, you would add the statements as instructed. Then you would reboot the web server (Apache?).

Again, if you don't own the server, you must have your hosting provider install Zend. (But not for PHP v5.4.)

You can put the ionCube loader in the CubeCart folder /ioncube/ and you would still have to have the proper statement in the php.ini file. You might be able to have your own short php.ini file in your CubeCart main folder.

"Why does this have to be so difficult?"

I guess because you're not a server administrator. That's what GoDaddy is supposed to be there to help you with.

Supposedly, you can edit the php.ini file with the statements for ionCube and not need to restart the web server.

You mention, "it gives me a line to add to the php.ini file" which I interpret as there is a means for you to edit a "personal" php.ini file, which PHP uses to augment the server-scope php.ini file. Add your lines there.

Ok, just wanted to follow up on this. i spoke with go daddy several times and they installed Zend Guard as apparently it was not installed.  Once they did that all issues disapeared. So if you are hosted by Go Daddy or maybe some other hosting company, have them check that it is installed prior to pulling your hair out like i did.  */* Thanks for your help bsmither, im sure i will need it again soon!