Shipping Help USPS CC5

K Body

Hello, I need a bit of help.  I’m setting up shipping charges in my CC5. I’m shipping in the US only right now. After setting up the shipping rate for my products, I’m noticing that my smaller items (i.e. small lip balm) that weigh one once or less will charge $5.50.  I can’t seem to get the cost down. The cost for such a small item would not cost that much to ship (verified through USPS.com).  Also, is there a way to exclude shipping from a particular item all together, but still have the other assigned shipping methods apply? My goal is to obtain the most accurate shipping charges so I’d like to use USPS shipping method, if possible.

Shipping is currently set up in my cart as follows:

Shipping Methods - USPS

Packaging Weight -  1 (which can’t be adjusted for each product, or can it?)

Handling Fee -  $.50

Package size – Regular

Container – Variable/Unknown

Size – set as 5x5x5 (even when changed to a smaller package size the price isn’t adjusted. I have several products and the weight and packaging size will differ for each item. How can this be adjusted?)

Domestic Service – First Class, Parcel Post

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KT

We sell stuffed toys, so some of our smaller items are very light. We do NOT set a package weight, but factor it into item weight - that's likely what is setting your smallest item s/h that high. If that makes the weight START from a pound, your customers probably don't even see First Class choices, but just Parcel Post choices and up. (Parcel Post is about to disappear, anyway. Even now commercial rate Priority is usually cheaper.)

I would suggest adding packaging weight to each product, so you can vary it accordingly - only practical now if you have a fairly small number of products, as that would have to be changed on a case by case basis.

I had to mark ours as Non-machinable to keep postcard prices from showing up in the choices. And our sizes vary all over the place. I haven't seen any evidence that the USPS Shipping Module correctly calculates the oversize package surcharge, so we add to the item weight to try to adjust for that, too.

Hello Dirty Butter, thank you for the help. It helped out a great deal and I've just about fixed the issues. I'm still having the follow issues:

*I marked packages as Non-machinable to keep postcard an letter prices from showing (which are showing as $.50), but they are still showing  up along with first class parcel and standard post. Since they are such small items, I rather lose a little on shipping than to charge my customers $5 dollars for shipping when the item only cost is $5 (weighs  one ounce or less).

*I also have one item which does not require shipping, it's a rewards program. I've gotten it down to only charging $.50 for shipping but how can I eliminate shipping all together?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Well Dirty Butter....you nailed this one...LOL! Thanks again.  Do you know anything about the Tools Integrator Notice? I finally have everything together, then I get this email about updates on the 26th. Is there anything that I will need to change? How will this affect what I already have set-up? I'm so not into this computer stuff....

Thanks,

KT