Charset Problem with Email Cubecart5

atomreaktor

Hello guys,
I'm running one stores with german language. On the page allover the charset seems to be right, but when a customer buys, he gets the automatic emails with ä,ü,ö displayed.

Bitte bewahren Sie diese E-Mail für Ihre Unterlagen auf.

How can I fix it, where is the .php data to fix? How can i get these chars to display?

Re-typing the German characters in /language didn`t help. I use php mail function.

Regards,

Atomreaktor

Welcome atomreaktor! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

With regard to character sets, CubeCart has adopted the ubiquitous UTF-8 character coding. All the language files are declared as UTF-8, the database is declared UTF-8, the headers that CubeCart sends to the browser declares that the incoming data is UTF-8, etc.

Please verify that the emails you receive have, in the email headers, a declaration that the email is in UTF-8. Looking at a few of the emails that I have received has: Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8".

The only remaining player is the program used to read the email. It must accept the charset and deal with the bytes accordingly.

However, let's assume that your customer gets plenty of emails coded UTF-8. So that person's email reader is perfectly capable of understanding UTF-8 byte coding.

What remains, perhaps, as weird as it sounds, is the web server used by your hosting provider.

Let's look at one of the byte sequences: ä which is C3 A4. In UTF-8, that is the character lower-case A with two-dots on top (diaeresis).

If the problem was double-converting to UTF-8, there would be more than two bytes for the character.

So, I am going to conclude that somewhere between CubeCart and the email reader, including the email reader, someone is not agreeing to show UTF-8.

Good morning,

Please verify that the emails you receive have, in the email headers, a declaration that the email is in UTF-8. Looking at a few of the emails that I have received has: Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8".

Yes, the emails show utf-8.

Here one of the emails (source code):

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Best=C3=A4tigung_der_Bestellung_#140226-133458-9882?=

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Danke, ÜÄÖ Mustermann!

Ihre Bestellung 140226-133458-9882, die am 26 Feb 2014, 13:34 aufgegeben wurde, ist bei uns eingegangen. Bitte bewahren Sie diese E-Mail für Ihre Unterlagen auf. Es ist möglich, den Status Ihrer Bestellung online einzusehen. 

http://xxxxxxx.de/index.php?_a=vieworder&cart_order_id=140226-133458-9882

----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Rechnungsadresse:
        ÜÄÖ Mustermann
        Maxstraße 4
        Berlin
        Baden-Württemberg

Subject (Bestätigung der Bestellung #140226-133458-9882), names and adresses are correct, but the text has some sign errors.

In /language/email_de-DE.xml I find the text

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<emails version="2.0" language="de-DE">

<email name="cart.order_confirmation">

<subject>
      <![CDATA[bestätigung der Bestellung #{$DATA.cart_order_id}]]>
    </subject>
    <content type="html">
      <![CDATA[<p>Danke, {$DATA.first_name}!</p>
        <p>Ihre Bestellung {$DATA.cart_order_id}, die am {$DATA.order_date} aufgegeben wurde, ist bei uns eingegangen. Bitte bewahren Sie diese E-Mail für Ihre Unterlagen auf. Es ist möglich, den Status Ihrer Bestellung online einzusehen.</p> 
        <p><a href="{$DATA.link}">{$DATA.link}</a></p>
    </content>
  </email>
</emails>

Rewriting, i.e.: ü -> &uuml; didn't help, same sign errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Atomreaktor