upgrade from 4.3.3 to 6.0.4

Hello,

I want to upgrade cubecart for a friend on a live webpage. She has on it at the moment 4.3.3 with a customized skin.

My question now is, if I update cubecart, will it keep the skin (the look)? is the webpage then still functional?

As well it say to delete all files apart from the images folder and the global.in.php in order to update. But if I do that, won't then some off her own pages dissapear?

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome dasickzz! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

"Will the upgrade keep the skin (the look)?"

No. The layout and image branding will need to be applied to a different HTML structure. Depending what the site looks like now, the task of developing a matching theme may be easy or complicated.

"Is the webpage then still functional?"

All the data (customers, products, images, etc) will still be present, but will show on a new skin.

You may need to better explain what "her own pages" are.

The image does not show all the files that belong to CC4. But I see index-old, which I then conclude there must be a customized index(.php - filename suffixes are not showing).

Most everything else in the list does not belong to a "stock" CC4. So, why they are there, and whether they are used by CC4, I cannot say.

Suffice it to say, though, they will all be unuseable by CubeCart 6.

I didn't captured all the files when I made the image. But that's what I already thought what you said.

So I guess if I will update the cubecart for her, I need to do everything over again? (apart from the products,customers etc)

If we would get a technical support plan, am I right to say that they won't be able either to update it and keep it like it is (skin/template/look) at the the moment? 

As I understand the support plan, making a custom CC6 skin is not part of it.

Can we see the existing store? A CC5 skin may be close enough to make minor changes and get something very close -- if not better.

Hello bsmither,

I would have one more question. On the webpage there are some information pages about the products, will they still be there after the update or do I need to add them all again?

Otherwise i need to copy and paste a lot i guess :)

"there are some information pages"

These would be the items in the "Information" list? These are no different than any of the other "info" documents (called SiteDocs) in the store. All the SiteDocs will be carried over.

You may be interested in a few mods for CC5/6 to match what appear to be features of the existing store:

* a set of SiteDocs at one location, while another set is at a second location
* "Customers who bought" in CC5/6 is calculated differently than CC4
* additional sideboxes of static content is very easy to code

A few things I do not know about because I never actually ran a CC4 store (several CC3 stores, yes):

* friendly URLS (seo) will be carried over
* customer reviews will be carried over

Maybe someone else can confirm the above points.

Visit the third-party mod forums for more CC5/6 enhancements.