SSL installation question?

jpayam

Hi,

I want to install SSL on my Cubecart store, but ssl provider told me they don't support users on windows XP , i wanted to know whats happen for a visitor on win xp , only they receive a non secure message or completely their  access blocked .

thanks

A SSL Certificate is system agnostic. Meaning, it is a plain text file that has been encrypted.

By "offering support", that could be any of several contexts:
* If a program, has it been written to run under Windows?
* If technical support, does the tech know anything about Windows and any web servers that run on Windows? (Getting a certificate installed for a web server running on Windows is administratively different than getting a certificate installed for a web server running on Linux.)

(I have three certificates: paid, free, and self-signed. Each are available for the respective web servers to use, all installed on Windows -- see my sig.)

A "secure connection" happens this way: the visitor requests a secure connection, the visitor and server talk it over and make an agreement, encryption and decryption happens. At no time does anyone mention what operating system either the visitor or the server is using.

If a visitor wants to use secure https, but your web server replies that there is no certificate available, it is the web browser's responsibility to alert the user and offer to use unsecured http, or to not make the request at all. What operating system is being used by either the visitor or the web server makes no difference.

If your SSL provider won't help you, there are hundreds of other web pages with instructions on how to get a certificate installed on Windows and how to configure the web server to use it.