Should we do an upgrade?

Hi all

A bit of advice needed if possible.

I work for a company that uses CC and has for quite a number of years, we were on a paid licence and we recently had the cant login issue which we have copied the file over and fixed.

The versions we are running on are

CC Ver 4.1.1

PHP ver 5.2.1.7

MYSql ver 5.5.47

image upload size - 15920 bytes (why is this minus?)

Server software Apache/2.4.18 (unix)

That's what i gleaned from the panel when logged in.

We only use the products side of it and we dont sell online (after we had a few try dodgy cards etc we shut it off, long time ago though)

Now the question is should we upgrade?

Does upgrading have any benefits better support for devices or added functionality /better payment options etc that may benefit us?

And is it going to mess up our site?

Id prefer a straight forward answer if poss, if there is risks id prefer to know now before i start

If it helps our site can be viewed here http://www.tailoredsystems.co.uk/

If you need specific info just ask and ill try and find it for you.

Many thanks

Hi

The short answer is that there are several areas that you should upgrade but the longer answer is....

CC Ver 4.1.1 - this is extremely old even for the obsolete V4 product and unless you manually patched quite a few times includes quite a few security issues within the code.  There are still people running V4 sites out there but they are either sites they dont care about or are so heavily customised that "upgrading" isnt an easy option  

PHP ver 5.2.1.7 - this is an extremely old version of PHP and is insecure, has many known security issues and was moved to unsupported status 5 1/2 years ago https://secure.php.net/eol.php   CubeCart V4 runs perfectly well in PHP 5.6 (with one minor change)

MYSql ver 5.5.47 - this is reasonably up to date (5.5.52 is the latest) although the 5.6.X branch and also the 5.7.X branches are more up to date.  This isnt really that critical. 

image upload size - 15920 bytes This is set by your server owner and restricts the maximum size of files that can be uploaded

Server software Apache/2.4.18 (unix) - This is up to date !

>>We only use the products side of it and we dont sell online (after we had a few try dodgy cards etc we shut it off, long time ago though)

Online stores will always have people trying to buy with dodgy cards - that isnt anything (really) to do with the software itself but is more down to choosing a good payment gateway that screens and filters out as many of these as possible.  Requiring CVV and then also insisting on 3D secure password as well limits your exposure to chargebacks to almost zero. I dont believe that this was really a valid reason to stop taking sales and certainly wouldnt be now.

>>Now the question is should we upgrade?  Does upgrading have any benefits better support for devices or added functionality /better payment options etc that may benefit us?

If you want to use the store to sell products and have a modern, responsive (mobile friendly) website then the answer is almost certainly yes, you should upgrade.  The latest V6 CubeCart is considerably better than very early versions of V4 and has many advantages.

>>And is it going to mess up our site?

Yes and no !  If you have any custom mods or work done, then these will be lost but if you are running standard V4 code then no problems.  However, the skin you are using is not compatible with V6 (no V4 skins are) and would need replacing. V6 comes with a standard skin called Foundation but there are many off the shelf skins based on this that you can choose for a small payment (one or two are free but beware that most of these havent been updated since their release). You can see demos of the standard Foundation and three skins we have written at our demo site https://www.cubecart-demo.co.uk plus you can see other skins and many plugins that are available to add / change functionality at the CubeCart Extension Marketplace https://www.cubecart.com/extensions

Ian

Ok thanks for the reply

I dont think we have any mods installed at all.

Is there a way i can check?

As to the skins when you say they would need replacing, does that mean all the artwork and logos would be gone?

One other thought is it possible to setup a V6 site at the side of the old one and swop them over once its sorted?

Last thought if we decide to stay as is, can we just upgrade the PHP to make it more secure and still keep the rest ?

Many thanks again

Obviously we are IT based but we dont really deal with this kind of stuff

You only sure way of knowing if you have any mods is to do a full file comparison to a stock 4.1.1 version of CubeCart.  If you have anything listed under the Third Party option in your admin menu that may give you a clue but is far from certain. This is something we have done for other people in the same situation but can be done using a variety of tools available 

Artwork and logos would not be "lost" as all images and all data is preserved during an upgrade, however, the logo would probably have to be added again into the V6 store and then how it displays depends on your logo size and which skin you chose - it isnt a big issue.

It would certainly be possible to do a test upgrade in a sub-directory and in fact that is what we almost always do with clients as there is generally some sort of gotcha that people forget about.  In your case as you are taking orders (or presumably having customers sign up ?) the process is considerably simpler.

If you are able to upgrade the PHP yourself then yes you probably should although you standard a greater security risk from running an unpatched version of CubeCart 4.1.1 so both should really be done but I dont think the risk or cost to you of upgrading is that great and the potential benefits are great.

Ian

Just checked the third party and there is nothing in there at all

So we might have to adjust a few images to fit that kind of thing?, we have photoshop so shouldn't be a prob

Because of the company's reluctance to sell online we dont do any signups or orders through it. i guess a website would do a similar thing :)

I can have a readup of the PHP upgrade, im pretty sure we have ftp access to add stuff

I doubt we use a tenth of whats possible on the existing 4.1.1 but i work for an unusual company who are resistant to new stuff.

Is there any reference material to doing a test upgrade in a sub-directory  anywhere that i can access? I have done server type stuff but years ago.

Many thanks for your assistance

Not all mods show up in the third party admin menu option so the only sure way is to do a file comparison. V4 is almost a distant memory, but I think that the Shop by Brand is probably from a third party mod although we have an Enhanced Manufacturer Plugin ourselves which covers some of that functionality.

FTP access is no good for a PHP upgrade - you often need to have root / admin access to the server itself although some hosting control panels allow you to change which version of PHP you are using.

There is no reference material for doing that type of upgrade but it is pretty straight forward - take a copy of all files and copy the database not forgetting to change the settings in the global.inc.php file so that the new test installation points to your new copied database - dont want to be updating / upgrading your live database !  The follow the standard V4 to V6 upgrade which is documented in the readme file in the V6 distribution