Dedicated server advise

Guest bennyuk

Guest bennyuk

I have 2 dedicated web servers, housed at data centers, which I run my clients website on.

1 of them is a Cobalt Raq4, which was great about 5 years ago, but it's getting a little long in the tooth.

I use the server for websites, DNS, Video streaming, e-commerce, emails, newsletter systems, etc, all the usual stuff.

I'm thinkning of upgrading and wanted to who is using what when it comes to dedicated self admin servers.

I'm looking at upgrading to a *nix, 2.8 intel, 512MB, 80GB server, which will cost around £1200 per year. I have a few options and would like to know if anyone has a preference when it comes to *nix OS, control panel sw, and firewalls.

These guys host CubeCart. ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH! They have a bit of a cult like following and although they are unmanaged they will go out of their way to help. Like fix my ftp when it was first setup :unsure:

http://www.beachcomber.net

Until last week the server had been up for 150+ days. I rebooted it out of my own stupidity.

Guest EverythingWeb

Obviously US-based Dedi providers are well-known for their lower prices, due to the cheaper bandwith costs over in the states, however the UK is now getting a lot more competitive with regards to Dedicated Servers (especially if Bandwith is an issue for you).

The specs you have mentioned seem good, however as Vrakas pointed out, you may want to upgrade to 1GB of RAM. Are these branded servers? Dell? Supermicro?

With regards to Software. APF and BFD (Firewall and Brute Force Detector) are some good scripts, and most flavours of linux come with a form of Firewall built in (iptables for example).

You obviously take the usual security measures when initially setting up your machine.

Control Panels are a very debatable subject. My personal view is that unless involved with the mass hosting where you are cramming 100's of sites to a box, then a control panel can just 'get in the way' and be overkill.

Admittingly, the features of CPanel are very nice, with Fantastico Auto-installer a handy option to have, however there are often security advices and bugs in Cpanel which are difficult to fix.

If you run your boxes, then you know what they are doing, when they are doing it, who did it, what they were wearing.... etc etc :unsure:

If you are looking for UK Based Dedis drop me a PM and I can give you a list of a few different providers who offer some cracking servers (not offering services, I don't offer dedi's) lol.

One thing to remember in the UK though - NAS (backup) storage is still pretty damn expensive, so my advice would be to get a 2nd HDD and raid them, so that you have got a very quick failover, in case of Drive Failure.

Just my two pence anyway.

Cheers.

@bennyuk

I agree with EverythingWeb that cPanel can get in the way and as i found out today the NeoMail program used for webmail, uses to much resources, but you did mention that you have 2 dedicated servers, so i assume you do have a lot of clients hosting with you.

Resume is:

2nd backup Hdd for mirroring or else called RAID0

1GB Ram memory

software you still have to make choices. :unsure:

Question to all with dedicated servers: How on earth do you transfer the data from the accounts hosted on a server from ANOTHER company to a new company?

ex. Hosted in the USA and want to transfer to the UK.

@brooky

beachcomber dont use Greek ;) (just joking :) )

I am also interested in them, thanks for the info but i need a few questions answered, like the one above. ;)

Guest EverythingWeb

I thought there was an import/export option in CPanel to move sites from one CPanel host server to another???

Or are you moving from CPanel to a non-CP server?

Guest bennyuk

When I do move I'll make sur eI get a month overlap to transfer all my sites. I'l have to do it manually. Either direct FTP from SSH (still have to set-up each site manually first though, or download everything to my pc then upload.

Yes, I know uploading 15GB would take a while but that's what ADSL is for (approx 70 hours).

On a side note, here in London we have got 8Mb adsl, but trials are starting with 24Mb adsl! anyone had a go yet?

PS: I'm stuck with webmail 1.8 on my servers, definately out of date...I WANNA NICE NEW SHINEY SERVERRRRRRRRRRR!

Guest EverythingWeb

Just remember that if your servers (and ultimately sites) IP address will be changing, you probably want to start 'planning' the migration.

Moving seamlessly is an art.

(I will reply to your PM shortly, bennyuk)

Cheers.

Thanks everyone for your reply i will have a look in the cPanel and hope there is something usefull for data transfer :)

@brooky

the one i would like from beachcomber (2.8-Texas) is sold out B)

@bennyuk

If you get any offers that may interest me please send a PM.

PS:I WANNA NICE NEW SHINEY SERVERRRRRRRRRRR!

Only with special order and extra charge, they are all black mat coloured lol :)

@EverythingWeb

I thought there was an import/export option in CPanel

Not in the reseller but there is in the dedicated so i can import them as long as they both have cPanel and the same SQL version. :lol:

Guest bennyuk

Just remember that if your servers (and ultimately sites) IP address will be changing, you probably want to start 'planning' the migration.

Very good point.

(Luckily) My current server provider will give me 1 month overlap to do the move, then will put old IP onto new server, which will help negate any DNS issues.

I'm unsure about whether to go for Fedora Core X (free) or RedHat Enterprise (£20 per month) ? Any views on this?

Guest EverythingWeb

Fedora is Red Hat, without the support.

I use Fedora Core's on all of our boxes, purely for keeping things uniform, however CentOS seems to be rising in popularity.

With Fedora, the development is continuing at a pace, and there is lots of support out there should you require it - which kind of negates the reason for paying the support costs of RHEL. (Use the £20/month for off-datacentre NAS storage ;))

Vrakas, I shall copy you in on the PM that I *will* be sending to bennyuk (sorry benny, things managed to crop up unexpectedly!) which details some good servers and deals that I have been made aware of recently.

Cheers.

William.

CentOS = RHEL

We use CentOS on all the server.

It holds on very well. have not had to reboot the server in 340 days :-)..

and if setup right its hard to hack. ( you will not bleave the amount of hack people have tryed on the server 34 aday + )

All the server run with 2 gigs ram and 2x250gig HD on true dual P4's

a very nice and cheap panel is Hpshere by PSoft.net

I have try other setups but i find the best is this

CentOS 4.x

Hpshere Panel.

2gigs ram

A PIII 733mhz aleast Dual is better or a P4 (dual)

and 250gig HD.

the PIII will hold about 120 users with High hits.

Web servers dont have to cost 1,000's the bandwidth need and most server have are a 256k x 256k bigger sites ( Like google ) run faster at 5meg x 5 meg.

My shared server run more then needed at 3meg x 3meg make user uploading to there site faster, 12 meg site uploads in about 3mins.

I Have a white paper out about this in you want it let me know.

@afksky

Very nice info you posted and i would be interested in the white paper, PM me is you wish.

PS: The link under your signature gave me "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" :sourcerer: