Is there anyone at CubeCart who can aknowledge that there is a problem

Guest narnia

It is clear that there is a major problem and it would be good if somebody at Cubecart would acknowledge this and give some indication to what the solution is. An official posting on the News and Updates forum would be good. At the moment we all seem to be trying to work out how to move forward but with not much luck!

Please just acknowledge the issue and say that you are on the case so that we can all relax for the weekend.

For right now, the announcements of the moderators will have to suffice. The head of Devellion is out of the country at the moment -- he's spending the New Year in Belgium. This came out right as he was preparing to leave.

I wish we could do something more, but unfortunately that's Brooky's place.

:errm:

I must chime in here. My first thought is that upgrades have been posted without adeqaute testing and I do not mean by the administration alone, but by the end user as well. My sites are online with version 3.02 and everything works, Pay Pal, customer e-mail, shipping, taxes...everything and my stores are modded as well.

In a free software environment it is up to the end user to take ultimate rsponsibility for what they do with the software. To take an online store, mod it and install updates willy nilly is madness on the part of the end user. This is true of any software product. A case in point is Intuit and Microsoft.

I personally do not see a problem here. The 'problem', if it exists, is with members not reading the forum and realizing that this is a software IN DEVELOPMENT, by its membership. And as such is delivered with all of the associated problems and fixes.

Guest timecrisis

In a free software environment it is up to the end user to take ultimate rsponsibility for what they do with the software.

Are you refering to CubeCart? As I have paid for the copies I use?

Apolgies if I have misunderstood?

Guest MoNeY4LiFe

In a free software environment it is up to the end user to take ultimate rsponsibility for what they do with the software.

Are you refering to CubeCart? As I have paid for the copies I use?

Apolgies if I have misunderstood?

My CUBECART was working great under 3.0.6, until I logged into the ACP, and seen that FLASHING upgrade option.

Upgraded... and, it put my CUBECART to a state of non-operation.

Is there a way I can BACKUP, and use a PREVIOUS version of CUBECART? Say... 3.0.6?

@timecrisis

I understand what you are saying M8, however my statement stands as is. I never perform an upgrade on ANY software until I am convinced that the bugs have been worked out. My point is that simply applying a patch or upgrade without first having determined what the effects might be on your system is not prudent. The software is free to use (unless you buy it, of course) and as such the user has ample opportunity to test it and make sure it works before buying it. When I purchased my licenses (2) I did so with full understanding of the process that is Cube Cart. Because I bought it, I did not expect anything to change within the process. I bought it to help further development.

Guest timecrisis

H Roban,

Thats great for you if you have a good understanding of coding.

I think releases whether open source or not should have documentation.

I also think there should be BASIC testing of upgrades.

I have not applied any upgrades to my site as it appears they don't work and "break" previous installs...

Anyway I don't want to argue, i just wanted to make my points clear to others and Devllion Ltd...

Have a good night =)

Guest Denver Dave

I understand what you are saying M8, however my statement stands as is. I never perform an upgrade on ANY software until I am convinced that the bugs have been worked out.
It's a balancing act. I learned with the last (pre 3.07) upgrade to not wait to long, because then I drive others nuts with questions they've gone past. Also if security fixes are involved then good to upgrade.

As for the current state of 3.07 - is the consensus "wait to upgrade"?

Guest bikeman

I personally do not see a problem here. The 'problem', if it exists, is with members not reading the forum and realizing that this is a software IN DEVELOPMENT, by its membership. And as such is delivered with all of the associated problems and fixes.

What are you on? Cubecart is a commercial product. It is now at release 3 not 0. It is NOT software in development. As a commercial product I would also expect it to undergo testing in house prior to release.

If Cubecart is just 'a product in development' left to users to find problems, I think it's paying users should told and can they make an informed choice as to whether they have the resources/expertise to use it.

What is Devellion's/Brooky's view on your statement?

Brooky should be returning tomorrow and im sure he will give his view at this time, but the software is at the begining of v3...

if you want a stable release then get 2.7 that is the final stable version of v2... v3 is in development and is at 3.0.7 lets explain the numbering system to you...

x.x.x => code-rewrite.new-feature.bug-fix ....

so v3 just means its the 3rd time the code has be re-writen from scratch.

3.0 means its the first feature version

3.0.7 means there have been 7 bug releases...

It is as is a project in development and if it was anything more/less then you would all be complaining... there was not good time to test 3.0.7 as it HAD to be released to beat the hacker threats...

You would all be on at brooky if NO fix had been release and more of you had been attacked even with the speedy release of a fix (tested or not) many people did not have time to update and patch their stores and have been hit by the attack...

There are thouse who have updated and managed to fight such attach BUT that is due to them accepting that the patch is there to Beat the threat and was not tested against a working store...

It is your choice to upgrade no1 forces you too BUT if you choses not to apply patches release and your store is attacked then dont complain that its the scripts fault as you where given the opertunity to protect yourself...

It is very unfortunate this has happened when it has as our office has been closed over Christmas. The security hole was dealt with in a very badly by the guy who found it as they did not bother to tell us before making it public elsewhere. This is extremely irresponsible and the recent panic has been the consequence.

We operate standard office hours here in the United Kingdom and today is a bank holiday.