Version Number

Guest martino

Guest martino

Hi,

Just a very small point.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cube Cart would not display the version number in the copyright message after version 3.0.7.pl1.

The version number is still displayed in version 3.0.8 (at least it was before the file got pulled :) )

Has this idea been dropped now??

Guest degsey69

Obviously the best way to remove the version number is to pay the licence fee.

Also as this version is more safer from hackers and to take the number out will serve no purpose now. I believe it would not be in Brooky's interest the remove it purely because of commercial reasons. :)

Guest ipsedpub

File name removed also.

[[CODE SUGESTION DELETED - Do Not follow such advice as this is braking the licence agreement you are NOT alowed to alter the copyright in Anyway unless you buy a Licence by which it is then removed for you.]]

and the version number will no longer be shown.

As for this version being safe from hackers... isn't that what was said about 3.0.7and then 3.0.7pl...

This is not allowed and cannot be done unless you own a license. Anyone found breaking the copyright gets reported to Devellion Ltd for action. Bear this in mind if you post on this forum we have probably already been to your site and looked :)

Guest ipsedpub

I haven't read the licence terms in any great detail (perhaps I will now) but I was under the impression that the restriction was to maintain the copyright notices, header and the link to the developer. What possible reason can there be to maintain a visible version number, especially as it says to hackers 'look at me I am version xxx, hack me'.

Guest degsey69

I haven't read the licence terms in any great detail (perhaps I will now) but I was under the impression that the restriction was to maintain the copyright notices, header and the link to the developer. What possible reason can there be to maintain a visible version number, especially as it says to hackers 'look at me I am version xxx, hack me'.

If your version of CubeCart has the sufficient security patches applied then I do not think that you are in any breach of copyright if you edit the ini.inc.php file to show the latest version. That show keep the hackers away until they find another way in, if thats possible.

Similarly as I have modded my store so much I do not want to update to the latest version so I edited the same file so that it does not show the red sign saying updates available in the main admin area. :cry:

Guest woodbtreasures

For better or for worse if you edit the copyright notice in ANY WAY then you are in breach of the user agreement. Period.

Regardles of what you opinion may be as to whether that should or should not be so is irrealevant because you agree to those terms when you choose to the software.

The ONLY acceptable way to edit the copyright info is to register and become a full-fledged customer.

Of course brooky could come along and disagree with me at any time. But until then...

For better or for worse if you edit the copyright notice in ANY WAY then you are in breach of the user agreement. Period.

This is true. I did say we will remove the version from the footer and I still intend to. Even with or without it "Powered by CubeCart" footer is an easy way for them to find stores whether there is a number or not.

Granted the number makes it even easier.

I would suggest that any cubecart store (or any store for that matter) is always in danger and I highly recommend taking nightly backups of your store/website. That is by far the best way of protecting your store and most hosting companies should have the option to do this.