What webhost is best for CubeCart?

Guest cubiccarter

Guest cubiccarter

Hello everyone,

Just a simple question really, followign on from our earlier post, we are having problems getting CubeCart to work 100% with our current host, Fasthosts.co.uk. Ironically, the problem is PHP timeout, because contrary to thier name, they are seemingly not fast at all.

So this begs the question, what hosts are you all using?

Thank in advance, and Best Regards,

Cubic Carter

Hello everyone,

Just a simple question really, followign on from our earlier post, we are having problems getting CubeCart to work 100% with our current host, Fasthosts.co.uk. Ironically, the problem is PHP timeout, because contrary to thier name, they are seemingly not fast at all.

So this begs the question, what hosts are you all using?

Thank in advance, and Best Regards,

Cubic Carter

I've expereinced similar things with them. They are a large ISP in the UK and their servers are pathetic from my experience. MySQL times out if you have a query with a join on returning 60 results.

I always recommend 1and1 for us Brits their support isn't incredible but the servers are sound and value is good. What I especially like is that they are one of the few hosts configuted to allow the php chmod function to work so you won't ever have to mess with file permissions using CubeCart. :)

Guest degsey69

I recommend bluehost as well they are very CubeCart friendly and as far as I am awre their security is good as well.

You can set up cubecart through fantastico (even though it might be a version or two behind you can update after initial load) so that all the set up is pain free.

Their CP panel is quiet comprehensive and the only down side is that they will only host .com .net etc no .co.uk. :)

Guest gwizard

I have transferred to Bluehost as well.

The price is fine and what I get for it is VERY fine.

I had couple of issues with the helpdesk, though. It takes them 2 days and more to answer a ticket.

After I've started to despair and called them (internation toll free, yay !) they answered fast and were very helpful and efficient.

btw, I don't know about co.uk, but I managed to add co.il as an addon domain with support help.

CP won't do it by default, but once done manually it's working like a charm :-)

My advice is NOT to setup CC via Fantastico as it deploys 3.0.8 with some security concerns. Instead, get 3.0.10 and upload it and then follow install instructions.

Oh, and be sure to disable Register Globals in your php.ini...it comes as On by default. :)

Guest CaseyC

You might want to check out www.lunarpages.com.......excellent service, support second to none and the price is right!

Guest EverythingWeb

I just *love* these type of threads..... I wonder if this one will go the same way!

To the OP: I sincerely hope you get sorted out with a decent web-host. :)

Guest digilution

I just *love* these type of threads..... I wonder if this one will go the same way!

To the OP: I sincerely hope you get sorted out with a decent web-host. :)

I transfered over to HU in Jan and think they are the dogs bollocks :)

Their support is terriffic and 99.9% on my tickets sent to them were CubeCart related and they just dive in and fix up all my stupid problems. Average time to respond to a support ticket I would say is around 1-2 mins, and the best of all they are cheap :w00t:

Guest SaraW

Hi I'm sorry to hijack the subject...

but what should one be thinking of when choosing a webhost?

(I have little to none knowledge of what to look for)

Guest digilution

Hi I'm sorry to hijack the subject...

but what should one be thinking of when choosing a webhost?

(I have little to none knowledge of what to look for)

Well for me as a newbie I looked for the following:

Web Space

Monthly Bandwidth

Unlimited POP3 E-mail Accounts

Unlimited MySQL Databases

Unlimited Subdomains

Advanced Site Stats

cPanel WITH crons etc

setup time

Price (costs me £6.95 pm)

Support

:w00t:

Guest gwizard

Well, in my past job I was Sysadmin on Linux so I need little support.

Therefore, my requirments (in order of importance) are:

Price

Space

SSH

Security

Support

The rest I can either install or build on my own.

Sarah, if you do not possess the neccessary skill to do your own maintanance, I would suggest you move support to your first priority. Ask around, many companies have excellent pre-sales support and then they ditch you. But, good quality comes with a price tag :w00t:

Guest abesonline

I use Woot Hosting for all my websites. Excellent service and support, reliable and great prices, actually they have all the things digilution mentions :w00t: ...highly recommend.

Guest EverythingWeb

Debreck & Brivtech,

Please do not self-advertise your products/services!

I think you will find that no-one above this post has promoted their own services, but have merely discussed what to look for in a webhost, and made recommendations - two different things completely.

Thanks!

Guest Brivtech

Debreck & Brivtech,

Please do not self-advertise your products/services!

I think you will find that no-one above this post has promoted their own services, but have merely discussed what to look for in a webhost, and made recommendations - two different things completely.

Thanks!

OK, glad to see it!

Guest chantesse

I've been using easily.co.uk with Cubecart - installed faultlessly & is reliable & cheap. Using their Virtual Linux Server enhanced option. Only limitation is that you get just one database so if you run parallel stores, have to prefix the table names of each store differently. Good if you are starting out & do not have monster traffic. ALso I guess, suits UK based shops best.

• 3 weeks later...

You may also need to consider:

Number of mysql databases

Multiple domains

If you are running multiple shops or if you are doing shops for others, then paying extra for multiple databases and multiple domains under your hosting account is often better in the long run than taking out a seperate hosting account for each shop.