ALT tags in Images

Guest digilution

Guest digilution

I have no idea where to put the ALT"" in images in CC.

Within the FCKeditor I open up an image with image properties and am faced with the following:

1. Image info

URL - Path/to/image/on/server

Alternative Text - No Idea

2. Link

URL - web link www.something.com

Target - No idea

3. Advanced

Id - No idea

Language Direction - No idea

Language Code - No idea

Long Description URL - No idea

Stylesheet Classes - No idea

Advisory Title - Text placed here will be displayed when mouse over image

Style - No idea

I am surprised that no one has questioned what the above does :D

ALT="best web picture" would be placed somewhere on a image named best web picture ?

ALT="http://bestimage.com" would be placed somewhere on an image with a link to a web site?

Am I on the right path :dizzy: and do I use the image properties to insert the ALT tags?

Hope this is no asking too much in one post :w00t:

I have no idea where to put the ALT"" in images in CC.

Within the FCKeditor I open up an image with image properties and am faced with the following:

1. Image info

2. Link

Target - No idea

3. Advanced

Id - No idea

Language Code - No idea

Style - No idea

I am surprised that no one has questioned what the above does :D

ALT="best web picture" would be placed somewhere on a image named best web picture ?

ALT="http://bestimage.com" would be placed somewhere on an image with a link to a web site?

Am I on the right path :dizzy: and do I use the image properties to insert the ALT tags?

Hope this is no asking too much in one post :w00t:

The "ALT" text would be entered into the Image Info ALT box.

The "Target" is where action of the browser on clicking on the link. This is usefull if you're using a Frames based site (not normal for CC stores). If you want a link to an outside site (ie PayPal etc), then if you select _blank the browser will open a new window.

FCK editor is a general purpose editor, so some features are not required - and many relate to HTML tags, and that info is avail online.

Jason

Thanks vokf :w00t:

What and where is the Image Info ALT box, is it the Advisory Title box?

The "Image Info" is #1 in your list.

The ALT text is useful for a number of reasons:

• Text to speech readers - will speak the text used, this is a great help to the blind and hard of sight.
  • Browers that do not display images can still use the site.
  • Some search engines use the text

There are probably more - but basically try to view your site with images disabled in your browser. IE and Firefox allow you to disable images.

CubeCart appears to place ALT text on all product images, but any images specified in pages created in the FCKEditor (sitedocs) should have them.

Jas

1. Image info

2. Link

Target - No idea

3. Advanced

Id - No idea

Language Code - No idea

Style - No idea

The ALT text is entered in the "Alternative Text" part of "Image Info". It's displayed when the image cannot be, or displayed on mouse hover is there is no "Advisory Title" text entered.

Guest digilution

1. Image info

2. Link

Target - No idea

3. Advanced

Id - No idea

Language Code - No idea

Style - No idea

The ALT text is entered in the "Alternative Text" part of "Image Info". It's displayed when the image cannot be, or displayed on mouse hover is there is no "Advisory Title" text entered.

Right, mouse over will display what is in the Advisory box so should I bother to put anything in the Alternative text box if there is no text where image is, if images disabled in FF.

If one of my images is named "total confusion" what exactly should I place in my Alternative text box as an example?

ALT="total confusion" or just total confusion?

Appreciate the pointers so far, just need to know the last point and I will go away :w00t:

Right, mouse over will display what is in the Advisory box so should I bother to put anything in the Alternative text box if there is no text where image is, if images disabled in FF.

If one of my images is named "total confusion" what exactly should I place in my Alternative text box as an example?

Appreciate the pointers so far, just need to know the last point and I will go away :w00t:

If your adding the code to the HTML page, then the first one. If you adding to the image insert dialog, then the last one.

Guest digilution

If your adding the code to the HTML page, then the first one. If you adding to the image insert dialog, then the last one.

Played around and sorted...thanks

• 4 years later...
Guest davesd

Is there anyway to add image alt tags to images already loaded into cubecart?

I have read the post above but don't think this is exactly what i want. Thanks

david

If you are using CC3, then no. Of the various data pertaining to the image associated with a product, the database does not warehouse anything but the filename. Although the FCKeditor image properties dialog window allows for the entry of this information, CC3 does not use it. CC3 uses the product's Name for the alt and title parameters of the image tag. (FCKeditor is a third-party utility included with CC but not written by Devellion.)

For CC4, I think the same as above applies, but I'm not nearly as familiar with CC4 as I am with CC3.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jackssmith

I think it is essential to the image alt tag tells the crawler what. In order to improve the overall quality of the image index database, add it as a parameter into the picture, in the editor is fundamental.

• 3 months later...
Guest Anny11

I am impressed by the quality of information on this forum. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iJunia

It is important to define a image and tell search engine crawler what it is about. As a method of SEO, I like define an image's ALT as a keyword, and link it to my website.