something odd, latin?

I was editing some product info on one of my stores, and I decided to use the "insert image" function to enter some images.

In the "preview" window I get this huge block of latin text

"Magnus es, domine, et laudabilis valde: magna virtus tua, et sapientiae tuae non est numerus. et laudare te vult homo, aliqua portio creaturae tuae, et homo circumferens mortalitem suam, circumferens testimonium peccati sui et testimonium, quia superbis resistis: et tamen laudare te vult homo, aliqua portio creaturae tuae.tu excitas, ut laudare te delectet, quia fecisti nos ad te et inquietum est cor nostrum, donec requiescat in te. da mihi, domine, scire et intellegere, utrum sit prius invocare te an laudare te, et scire te prius sit an invocare te. sed quis te invocat nesciens te? aliud enim pro alio potest invocare nesciens. an potius invocaris, ut sciaris? quomodo autem invocabunt, in quem non crediderunt? aut quomodo credent sine praedicante? et laudabunt dominum qui requirunt eum. quaerentes enim inveniunt eum et invenientes laudabunt eum. quaeram te, domine, invocans te, et invocem te credens in te: praedicatus enim es nobis. invocat te, domine, fides mea, quam dedisti mihi, quam inspirasti mihi per humanitatem filii tui, per ministerium praedicatoris tui."

Any idea what it is? this also shows up on another store of mine....

Here is a very rough english translation

You are large/great/big/vast/huge, the owner, and greatly/very/intensely praiseworthy: the your large/great/big/vast/huge strength/power, and the your wisdoms is not the number/sum/total/rank. And to recommend you Bul the man, some the part your [he/those] about to create/bring into being/make, and the man carrying his/one's mortal, carrying the testimony sinned the his mens and the testimony, because arrogant you pause: and yet to recommend you Bul the man, some the part [he/those] about to create/bring into being/make your. You you wake up, to to recommend he/she/it may delight you, because you have done we to you and is the rest/sleep-less heart the our men, while he/she/it may quiet down into .... Give to me, the owner, to know and to understand, whether he/she/it may be earlier to call upon you can it be that to recommend you, and to know you earlier he/she/it may be can it be that to call upon you. But which/who does he/she/it call upon you not knowing you? Other namely on behalf of elsewhere he/she/it is able to call upon not knowing. Can it be that rather are you call uponed, to may be you knew? How but will they call upon, into have they not trusted which/who? Or how will they trust do allow proclaimming? And they will recommend how? they require the owner him. Search foring namely come upon him and come uponing will recommend him. I shall search for you, the owner, call uponing you, and I may call upon you trusting into ...: proclaimmed namely you are to us. He/she/it call upons you, the owner, the my faith, how you have given to me, which/who of the inspirastus to me through the human nature/character/feeling the your sons, through the office proclaimmed your.

Searching google for "Magnus es, domine, et laudabilis valde" (the first sentance) bring many hits....

Seems like many sites have this text entered at seemingly random, unusual locations.

edit:

I've found that this text is the first chapter in "Confessions of Saint Augustine"

http://www.stoa.org/hippo/text1.html#TB1C1S1

explanation of the text

http://www.stoa.org/hippo/comm1.html

But the question still remains....why is this is Cubecart?

Guest Brivtech

Is it only a particular image, or all images? Perhaps there's a virus in the image making it show up as text? Pure speculation of course. :lol:

Guest groovejuice

LOL!! I suppose if you've never seen this before it could be just a bit more than curious! It is common practise for designers and layout artists to use latin text in page mock-ups to illustrate how text will appear in a given div or printed page. This type of 'dummy text' has been used, apparantly, since the 1500's. Most common is this passage

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

but others are also in common use.

As to why you are seeing it in these circumstances is hard to say, but likely it is harmless.

The text just kinda shows up in the preview window by itself....

check out the screenshot...

It shows up on a store that I've had around for a while as well as a store that I installed last friday.

Only thing common between the two stores is that they were both installed using Fantastico.

Guest Brivtech

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!

I thought it was in the file manager when you upload images.

Nothing to worry about, it's simply included for formatting purposes, and yes, it's Lorem Ipsum, a latin gibberish that represents the flow of real sentences.

Something that one of my customers went bezerk about when I showed him a template of his website, and got an earfull before he understood that it was for formatting purposes, and that I hadn't translated his site into "greek"! :lol:

Latin is commonly used as example text in things where you want something completely unbiased as people don't speak it anymore. (Apart from me I'm fluent)

e.g. Sample text in FCKEditor & Artwork for flyers and web sites.

Latin was used in the original CubeCart design... See attached...

Lorem Ipsum is not real Latin. As the suggested translation reveals, it's gibberish. Prior to the dumbing down of modern education (oh, the school budgets lost to the bean counters and other philistines) almost anyone with a Liberal Arts diploma from a decent high school would recognize that fact.

Funny thing, also lost to cost-benefit-driven education, what is now called "Lorem Ipsum" has always been known as "Greeked Text." It's still widely known as that by printers who use it in tentative page layouts.

There's an extension for FireFox that will generate Greeked Text to specification but, of course, it is called "Lorem Ipsum."

sic transit gloria mundi . . .

BTW - those who have never studied Latin are like a blind man who has been handed One Dollar's worth of change for a $50 bill. They have no idea what they are missing.

Maybe the biggest lie that's ever been told about it is to call it a "dead language." Latin is alive in every sentence in English, French, Spanish and many other lingos ("lingo" being a version of the Latin word for "language"). If you have studied Latin, you can comprehend much of what is being said in any Western Language.

Knowledge of Latin even opens up English to clearer understanding . . .

televise = to send a visible thing to a far place

telegraph = to send something written to a far place

teleport = to send to a door far away

automobile = a device for moving something under it's own power

antepasta = what you eat before the pasta comes

conversation = the act of speaking together

Shame on "educators" (from the Latin, "e ducere" - meaning "to lead out, as into the world") who have cheated our children of this rich resource.

• 2 weeks later...