Important: Velocity Merchant Services

Guest EverythingWeb

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

For those companies using Velocity Merchant Services as their payment provider, please be aware that as of 5.30pm this evening, that company has been put into Liquidation.

The following was released to customers today.

Dear Customer,

It is with great regret that I must inform you that Velocity has ceased trading and will shortly enter into insolvency proceedings. During the summer of 2006 Velocity was contacted by the Met Police with regards to two Merchants on our books who were alleged to be selling non-existent holidays.

A Met Police briefing can be found at: http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/news/h...ud_08_11_06.htm.

Due to the size of the fraud Velocity is simply not able to refund all the amounts requested by consumers under the chargeback scheme.

All attempts have been made to find a solution but there simply is not one at this stage. The payment systems will be kept running for as long as we can legally run them in order to give you as much time as possible to find a solution.

The phones at the Teddington Office will not be answered from this point on.

A notice will be published once the courts have appointed an Insolvency Practitioner.

Yours,

Velocity Support

I would suggest that anyone who has an active VMS account, stops allowing transactions being placed to your account. You wont be paid.

Please keep this discussion free of 'Oh dears'. Anyone that has genuine questions relating to this, please feel free to post.

Kindest Regards,

William

Guest EverythingWeb

Chargeback Scheme.

When purchasing anything - always use a Credit Card - you can charge it back should anything go wrong/not materialise etc. Debit cards = no such luck. :dizzy:

Guest EverythingWeb

As an update to those who may be affected by the Velocity issues:

- Velocity have ceased trading and their site/systems are down/going off.

- Pago & Deutsch Bank who did the actual processing behind Velocity have terminated their contract with Velocity and will stop allowing any transactions being placed through Velocity's system as of midnight tonight.

- All rolling-reserve balances will be paid as & when they fall due and any transactions recently put through will be paid in accordance with the normal terms.

If anyone is directly affected by this and isn't receiving the updates they should be, please PM me and I'll give you some more details.

Thanks.

Guest nochex_uk

not entirely true - users holding debit cards with a visa/mc card scheme logo will be able to put in a chargeback.

Chargeback Scheme.

When purchasing anything - always use a Credit Card - you can charge it back should anything go wrong/not materialise etc. Debit cards = no such luck. :)

Guest Brivtech

This is pretty scary stuff. (Not an oh dear)

I thought the chargebacks were paid from the actual merchant? If Velocity are the merchant service provider, why are they having to pay out? Are they not simply a go-between between the credit card company and the merchant?

What can be learned from this?

Well velocity had two kinds of accounts. Full merchant accounts and a system where by you can use their merchant account if you like. It was accounts using their merchant account that committed the fraud and velocity had to pay it back.

So.... you best bet it to make sure you have your own independent merchant account with your bank.

Correct me if I'm wrong peeps. :)