As the release for CC 3.1 looms closer.......

Guest timtam

Guest timtam

After having read several threads on this board about the impending release of 3.1, I have a few questions which now should have answers with the release date getting closer.

Firstly, I have a heavily modded CC store that looks nothing like the basic skins that come with CC and many additional mods that I have paid for as I required extra functionality from my store that the basic CC could not provide. As I understand it from what I have read to date on 3.1, it is almost a complete re-write of CC (please feel to correct me if I am wrong). Does this mean that I will have to completely re-install skins and mods that have been added once this new version comes in? If so, will the mods and skins I use now even be compatible with the new version? I think we need a little enlightenment here as to how major a release this is and what it means to those of us with existing CC stores. As the old saying goes, it may be the case for most of us that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! (meaning not to upgrade and stick with our older versions).

Secondly, I would like further information on the new pricing structure. This is how I understand the new pricing structure will work as quoted by Al from another thread:

Out right price: Updates for x amounts of months.

Yearly / Annual Lease: Unlimited updates for as long as lease runs.

Before I go any further, I would just like to say that I have a license for my version of cubecart. However, I think the yearly/annual lease thing needs to be elaborated on just a tad. I am not keen on the idea of it. Wouldn't it make more sense to charge an upgrade fee per new release even if you have an existing license and up the cost of the license a little? That way, the cubecart programmers will make enough money to pay for future upgrades as none of us expect to have access and the use of a decent program with no cost involved.

If I was in control of the pricing structure, I would be more inclinded to encourage people to purchase a license by limiting the features available in the free version to encourage users to purchase a license (sure to get slammed for that one!). After all as the old saying goes, you get nothing for nothing.....

I eagerly await a response.

A few of these questions have allready been answered in various posts but i can say that until or before the release of 3.1 things could change as more mods are been added and this might or not change the pricing.

Guest timtam

Thanks for your response vrakas. However, I have found that the questions had been 'vaguely' answered in the past and at the time it would have been understandable as the release date was so far off and the program rewrites and updates would have been in their infancy stages. However, threads that I have read on this board recently indicate that the release date is nearing, so you should now be in a much better position to actually let the cubecart community know quite a bit more information about the how changes will effect current users. :D

The release of 3.1 was expected a few months back but adding mods etc seemed to delay this.

If we know for sure the release date then for sure an announcment will be made and all related matters such as these you opened will be answered by Al who is the creator and owner of CC. :D

This is hard to respond to as nothing is set in stone still.

If you are currently running a modified store there is a change an upgrade will fail and you will lose all of your modifications to a default install. It's impossible for the new version to be compatible with your modifications and skins.

With regards to pricing this is still not finalized yet and we will announce it on the release day I expect.

It will have a perpetual license with access to upgrades for x amount of time or an ongoing annual fee. Once the perpetual license expires it will be possible to renew it for a lower fee which will be optional. :D

I hope that helps a little.

Guest Brivtech

It will have a perpetual license with access to upgrades for x amount of time or an ongoing annual fee. Once the perpetual license expires it will be possible to renew it for a lower fee which will be optional. :D

That's a complete contradiction in itself, you're stating that it has a perpetual license (implying that the license lasts forever), then you're saying the license expires at some stage?

Doesn't make sense to me.

The way I see it is that you could have 2 options:

1. Annual License Fee

2. One-off Cost to Purchase

This would keep it nice and simple in my view.

However, I think for the mods it's same to assume none will work as a base so it's a case of whether authors will provide free upgrades of their mods to be compatible with 3.1.

1. Annual License Fee

However, I think for the mods it's same to assume none will work as a base so it's a case of whether authors will provide free upgrades of their mods to be compatible with 3.1.

I completely agree. I was trying to say what you said. Mondays... :-/

Guest timtam

This is hard to respond to as nothing is set in stone still.

If you are currently running a modified store there is a change an upgrade will fail and you will lose all of your modifications to a default install. It's impossible for the new version to be compatible with your modifications and skins.

With regards to pricing this is still not finalized yet and we will announce it on the release day I expect.

It will have a perpetual license with access to upgrades for x amount of time or an ongoing annual fee. Once the perpetual license expires it will be possible to renew it for a lower fee which will be optional. :)

I hope that helps a little.

1. Annual License Fee

Maybe Monday's are affecting my brain also but I am a little confused. Are you saying that if we already have an existing license, we are eligible to download the complete program and then get the downloads and upgrades for a limited time. After that time we then have the option of paying an annual fee or to pay for another license at a reduced cost? If we were to purchase an another license, how long will it be valid for?

I still think your best option is get everyone with a license to pay a small upgrade fee, bump up the price of the license a little and make the free version very limited to encourage others to purchase a license. Annual fees and expiring licenses that will need to be renewed just don't make any sense..........

I really can't go into the ins and outs of this yet as not much consideration has been given to this at all yet.

Are you saying that if we already have an existing license, we are eligible to download the complete program and then get the downloads and upgrades for a limited time.

You won't be able to download it but if/when you decide to purchase a license for it your copyright removal key will work with it.

A copyright removal is key is not strictly speaking the same thing as a license key. However it is often referred to as a license key. This will change and I will do what I can to try to prevent confusion.

Guest KGBelectronics

It will have a perpetual license with access to upgrades for x amount of time or an ongoing annual fee. Once the perpetual license expires it will be possible to renew it for a lower fee which will be optional. :)

That's a complete contradiction in itself, you're stating that it has a perpetual license (implying that the license lasts forever), then you're saying the license expires at some stage?

Doesn't make sense to me.

@Al .... ROFLMHO (Try Google for all those that don't know)

I've spent 30 years in business on all continents except Antarctica and this is as good as I've heard, congratulations. The BS deparment must be in overdrive.

Laugh_1.gif

@Brivtech ... nice to know that somebody has their finger on the pulse.

ThumbsUp_1.gif

The questions were fairly simple ..

The OP has a store and has a valid CC license (and for the sake of disclosure, yes I have dealt with them in the past ... as have a number of others on this and other CC related forums)

They want to know if their investment in time and money will be wasted (or superseeded) and what the ramifications are for the highly publicised, much promised but as yet non-existent version 3.1

After being a programmer for over 30 years I can understand that deadlines or projected release dates blow out. Most of your customers are NOT programmers but clients who have invested their "hard earned" money and their time into the product. With respect, they don't fully understand the problems and intracasies related to a new release, but they are CLIENTS and deserve respect not gibberrish replies.

The blog reads like a list of existing mods that are "hand selected" from the old '.org' forum and the structural changes promised have no substance.

Please cut the xxxxx (insert appropriate phrase here) and give the customers some answers.

Version 3.0.15 as a base is capable of "anything you can imagine". It has been proved in the past with mods that the "experts" deemed impossible.

Yes it has some limitations and a new release will be wonderful but the impression that some are getting is that they NEED to upgrade to 3.1 or will be forced to. Is that the case????

Some simple questions

• Are there any security or other substantial reasons that will 'force' current 3.0.x users to upgrade to 3.1?
  • Will 3.0.15 (or its 3.0.x successor) still be available at the current price (or similar) with the same licensing structure when 3.1 is released?
  • Will forum support for 3.0.x be discontinued (like the .org forum) to restrict promotion and discussion to the new 3.1 version only?
  • Have you any plans to address the issues with time lag for 3rd party support (generating mods and skins) after the 3.1 release date. What are they and who can we turn to?

Cheers,

Ken

I'm not prepared to comment on this anymore. Topic closed. An announcement will be made as and when required.

It's too early for these questions to be answered.

All I can say is that version 3.0 will remain as it is and we will support it. Nothing will change concerning it and we will still release security/bug fixes if required.

An official announcement can be found here:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=27247