changing the "admin" name

Guest nehem

Is there a way or variable where i can change the name to log into the admin

Instead of www.domain.com/admin

can i change it to

www.domain.com/CustomAdminName

This is so that the cart is a bit more secure from the general "admin" login that many know

I've not looked into this, but a better way may be using .htaccess password protection (assuming you're using Linux hosting) in the /admin directory.

You can also do the same kind of thing on a Windows server using account permissions.

Many servers have brute force detection build-in, and so repeated log-in attempts would result in a blocked IP address.

The site below has a nice tool for generating the password file, and some general info.

http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/

Place the .htaccess file in /admin, the password file in the root of your account (the level above your www), and you should be good to go.

Store the log-in details in a safe place, if you keep getting them wrong, your server may block you....

Jason

• 3 months later...

My host doesn't allow there to be a folder called 'admin' in root because it's actually used by the hosting control panel... I tried changing the admin folder name and then it breaks the admin area.

I'm running the latest version 3 of CubeCart. It would be nice to know if with version 3 there is a way to do this. I plan on upgrading to the paid version 4 but I wanted to get familiar with the application before doing so.

Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

My host doesn't allow there to be a folder called 'admin' in root. It would be nice to know if with version 3 there is a way to do this.
Well, it depends how much work you are willing to do and what tools you have available.

I used my programmer's text editor to find all occurances in the code for "/admin".

There are 18 occurances in the code and two occurances in each of the language files.

Almost all of the 18 are form action parameters and look like:

action="<?php echo $GLOBALS['rootRel'];?>admin/..."

You can either change all occurances of /admin to /whatever, then re-up your store, or create a new $GLOBALS variable, 'adminRel', and make it equal to rootRel&&whatever, and change all the instances of the code.

But there's gonna be code changes. Here's the files and line numbers:

\admin\adminusers\administrators.php(178)

\admin\adminusers\changePass.php(65)

\admin\includes\header.inc.php(57)

\admin\includes\header.inc.php(65)

\admin\includes\navigation.inc.php(102)

\admin\includes\navigation.inc.php(103)

\admin\misc\licForm.php(59)

\admin\modules\index.php(59)

\admin\modules\affiliate\iDevAffiliate\index.php(66)

\admin\modules\affiliate\JROX\index.php(64)

\includes\functions.inc.php(120)

\install\index.php(127)

\install\index.php(575)

\install\index.php(743)

\install\index.php(744)

\modules\gateway\HSBC\form.inc.php(47)

(This is for 3.0.15)