Curious about V4 license

Guest Ashmk

Im a little confused.

To use cubecart V4 do you have to buy a license to use it then another to remove copyright ?

Is it not like V3 where you could use for free and pay for removal of copyright when business allows.

Guest ianleopard666

personally i dont like the 14 day trial - its a bit like being forced to pay for it.

it will probably limit the amount of people that buy or use v4.

on another note its nice to see a lot more features being standard.

Guest conspicuouschick

Think of it this way:

V3 is perfect for a store just starting out, you can buy hundreds of mods to add functionality as you go along.

V4 is for advanced stores with just about every addition you can think of built in as standard so no need for many third party mods.

Im afraid if you want to open a shop to make money then you have to expect to pay for it. Speculate to accumulate :)

I think argument could be made that most people with v3 HAVE paid for it because they've had to buy mod after mod after mod to deal with their specific store needs. Not to mention all the "issues" with Froogle/Google Base changes, USPS modules, inadequate seach engine, etc. (and gosh golly, the most popular of these mods have now been implemented in v4. Hmmmm - but do you think the original programmers of those mods will reap the benefits of their ideas?)

I have no problem paying for programs or otherwise. However, I am a person who votes with her feet/wallet. I'm certainly not about to fork out $130 for something that's going to continue to give me the headache I've had for the past year. If I pay for it, especially that much, I expect it to function nearly flawlessly and not have to wait weeks, if not months, for "fixes".

If I pay for it, especially that much, I expect it to function nearly flawlessly and not have to wait weeks, if not months, for "fixes".

Well it's not even released so we can't say how long it will take for flaws and fixes to be issued. However, I think following the Beta testing most should have been ironed out.

As for purchasing V4 I won't for the site we've just launched using V3 - we installed to many mods, etc and I don't really want to re-do it all. We would in the future consider upgrading to V4 but I shall wait until I see how people get on first dealing with mods that add additional tables, etc to the database.

Will be interesting to see how mod authors continue to write mods - do they focus on V4 or release mods working on both V3 and V4.

In terms of license, I would have liked to see a 30 day demo, I feel 14 days is too short and for most software you get 30 days. I think there should be have a single cost of say $150/$175 which includes copyright removal and for existing license holders an upgrade fee to V4.

I think this would have been far easier to understand and would have meant anyone going forward using V4 was on the same basis of having no copyright notice, etc.

(and gosh golly, the most popular of these mods have now been implemented in v4. Hmmmm - but do you think the original programmers of those mods will reap the benefits of their ideas?)

I think that's a ridiculous comment. We don't develop CubeCart stealing modders ideas. We develop CubeCart listening to customers requirements and prioritizing them accordingly. They have merely released add-ons, most of which have been inspired from comments made by our customers on these forums anyway.

Guest hairfreax

The new specs look great, and I think I will stretch to the extra £20 to remove the licence even. I am sure developers will be busily making new mods as there will always be more functionality a store needs.

Just one question it states:

Software License Key + 1 Copyright Removal Key

Does this mean, you can purchase 1 license key and use it on multiple domains/stores but you have to purchase a copyright removal key for each domain?

OR a license for EACH domain

I have 4 stores, only one that make money yet so I would not remove the copyright for the other three.

If it is the latter, can a note to added to clarify?

thanks

Note/

once upgraded, will my urls remain the same?

I didn't see any mention of any discounts for buying the License for more than 1 domain - will there be? Or any discounts for stores that are all subdomains of 1 domain?

Seriously, there aren't any features I see that I need that I cannot add to 3 with mods if needed (or eventually do myself) so I'm really wondering if I will upgrade to it or not. Will do the trial and see if things like adding options or other behind the scenes stuff will make it viable for me, but with currently 10 stores (soon to be 12) and so few things I need, unless additional licenses are cheaper, I can possibly see getting 1 license just to support CC and keeping the rest of my stores running v3.

I am assuming security updates will continue to be released for v3 as well?

Guest hairfreax

In all fairness, I am re jigging my site now it makes money...

Buying the full wack cube 4 and securing my site for payments will cost me £126. And that's getting someone to install my SSL cert for me too as I feel lazy.

If you have not made the 80 odd quid profit with version 3 yet to cover cube 4, then there is no point in having an e-commerce store to trade. Version 3 is still there to play with, and until my other crazy e-commerce projects make the £80 profit to cover the cost of cube 4 they ain't getting it.

You could always wait for oscommerce 3 to come out, they have not finished their alpha stage yet BECAUSE it is free and lets face it developers have to consume a lot of coffee so they need to earn money.

As long as V3 remains secure, cube has a nice balance of free and paid for.

Guest hairfreax

We are more beer and pizza types than coffee but I agree with your point.

OSCommerce is a brilliant applications and certainly worth a look. Hopefully CubeCart will develop faster as we are here 5 days a week plugging at it. :)

Exactly why I am willing to pay, as its all about timing and If I can't get paypal pro to work I want someone to cry too.

Is there any support available (apart from forums) in the initial price if you come unstuck? or do we have to rent your souls by the hour/problem?

thanks

Guest conspicuouschick

Have you even paid for a V3 license? If you have not then your argument about paying for it is far from valid ;)

I haven't paid for a license for exactly that reason - because the cart has NOT given me what I needed and/or asked for. To have a product (and yes, it was THEIR choice to offer it for free) and have features go on "unfixed" (the google base feed) or have flaws that impact the operation of the cart (the 'items disappearing from the basket' problem for example that CC developers have flat-out refused to acknowledge) is certainly not going to induce me to fork over $80 for a license.

Glad you third party mods have made your money, but think of all the money you would continue to make if cubecart hadn't decided to implement YOUR code and YOUR mods into their cart to line their own pockets. I guess that's the danger of open source programming and not obtaining copyrights or patents for your creations.

The problem I have is that they strung all people using Cubecart along with this newest version (hey yeah we know this stuff is jacked up, but be patient cuz version 4 is gonna rock your socks off!) but never once mentioned it wouldn't be free as the prior versions had been. To many people, this move is perceived as dishonest.

Guest conspicuouschick

I think that's a ridiculous comment. We don't develop CubeCart stealing modders ideas. We develop CubeCart listening to customers requirements and prioritizing them accordingly. They have merely released add-ons, most of which have been inspired from comments made by our customers on these forums anyway.

And why did the customers make these requests and comments? Because cubecart didn't fill their needs and/or wants in a shopping cart. And instead of meeting those needs yourself, third party modders jumped in to do it for you. What the third party modders have done is called customer service. What cubecart developers are doing now is called playing catch up.

And referring to a customer's opinion, based very much in fact (because the modders DID create these features first and CC HAS implemented them in their newest version - plus is charging for them) is no way to anyone - past, present or future - to pay for a license. In fact, it's probably about the quickest way to have them defect to one of your competitors.

Just to put my 'oar in..

I'm not sure what you're after - CC4 to be free (as in Beer)? Search google for "powered by cubecart" and you'll see why - not that many people pay, but many, many people use it..

To pay wages, insurance, rent, tax, pizza and the other overheads of running even a small software company means that a more secure income stream is needed.

You've obviously seen the work thats gone into V4, and I hope you can appreciate the cost of software development, and are not someone that thinks its quick and cheap.

I'm a software developer (not web) and the costs can be huge, we're technical people who require a decent salary and sometimes expensive tools to do the job.

CC is not developed by a few beardy guys in their spare time.

For someone that has not spent any money on a licence, or has not contributed to these forums (apart from your recent comments about the Licence), I don't feel you have a right to complain about the licensing.

Of course, you have a right to air these comments, but I don't think you're getting anywhere.

You can try the same tact with Microsoft, or who ever supplies software that you pay for.

This is like people complaining about the Government without voting or getting involved.

The answer? Get your hands dirty - learn to code (ie write your own CC rival), or pay someone to do it for you (or barter to save the tax ;) )

Jason

Just to put my 'oar in..

I'm not sure what you're after - CC4 to be free (as in Beer)? Search google for "powered by cubecart" and you'll see why - not that many people pay, but many, many people use it..

To pay wages, insurance, rent, tax, pizza and the other overheads of running even a small software company means that a more secure income stream is needed.

You've obviously seen the work thats gone into V4, and I hope you can appreciate the cost of software development, and are not someone that thinks its quick and cheap.

I'm a software developer (not web) and the costs can be huge, we're technical people who require a decent salary and sometimes expensive tools to do the job.

CC is not developed by a few beardy guys in their spare time.

For someone that has not spent any money on a licence, or has not contributed to these forums (apart from your recent comments about the Licence), I don't feel you have a right to complain about the licensing.

Of course, you have a right to air these comments, but I don't think you're getting anywhere.

You can try the same tact with Microsoft, or who ever supplies software that you pay for.

This is like people complaining about the Government without voting or getting involved.

The answer? Get your hands dirty - learn to code (ie write your own CC rival), or pay someone to do it for you (or barter to save the tax ;) )

Jason

I've spent an extensive amount of time modding my CubeCart v3 store, and understand the amount of work required to make a GOOD shopping cart with all the bells and whistles anyone could want. With that experience programming in PHP/mySQL/javascript/etc. in mind, I will be purchasing CubeCart v4.0 with no complaints as to the cost - it sounds as if it will be well worth it.

I can not understand how people can complain about if version 4 is free or not. These guys are working around the clock to build a secure software program and all they are asking for is a few dollars for there time. I have one question for those who complain about the price of version 4. What do you give out for free from your online store?

I totally agree. At the end of the day a license for software is a business set up cost.

If you don't make money then get V3 or go for an alternative... plenty of free cart systems out-there and no-one forces you to go for CC.

If you then begin to make money, upgrade and purchase the V4 license. I suspect we'll purchase it using the discount but not upgrade for a while.