Weird admin bug

Guest RobertoAntonio

Guest RobertoAntonio

Hello

Today I had this strange error.. something I would never expect.

I upgraded my store from 3 to 4... obviously like the real store is working, a made a copy of the current and I made all the upgrades I need and design changes and stuff that I need until test it enough to put it live.

Well... the database is a copy too (this is my error)

Then, testing gateways, I decided to change the admin email to not send fake orders to the owner and just keep them for myself.

When I changed the email, it automatically send to every customer who had an order the his request was cancelled!!!

How could this be? I just change the email for my purposes, and although I know I had to erase all the real customers from the copy, I never saw this comming...

Obiously this broght me problems with my boss and the owner, because although the live store is intact, the copy sent emails to everybody like crazy...

Like I said, I know it's my fault to keep real data on the copied store, but this kind of behaviour is never expected for anyone...

Does any one know why this happend?

Guest RobertoAntonio

Please can you provide exact step by steps that caused this. It's not something we have ever replicated or had reported before.

Sure... it's pretty simple...

1. I copied my store on www.mystore.com/cube4. Backup the database and created a new one to upgrade the copy and not the real one. Of course, I made the global.inc.php to see the new database and the new paths.

2. I upgraded the store, like the readme file says, erasing some directories, and some php files, copied the version 4 files on the directory and run the index.php to upgrade the store.

3. I followed all the steps in the installer and everything was ok.

4. I went to admin section and tried to plug the Pay Pal Pro gateway (by the way I haven't succeded yet)

5. Then, I thought: "ok... I don't want the owner of the store to receive fake orders from me, in the time I'm testing the paypal gateway"... so I went to the General Setting link, changed the email address to a personal one and save.

6. Right after that I receive more than 250 emails saying that each individual order has been cancelled... :)

2 things to consider:

a. I commited a huge mistake when I didn't clean the database of real customers... but be in my position... I would never ever ever expected a behavior like this.

b. If something like this happens in real life, think it through, this could be a real pain in the neck... (and it did happen because all those customers receive an email with the cancelation)

--------

What could trigger this?

If it's not a simple admin email change, it has to be something else... but what?