403 Forbidden - Cube Cart or server problem?

Guest chantelle

Guest chantelle

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me. Over the past few months, there have been days when I get the following page when trying to log on or visit my website;

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /shop/admin.php on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2 Server at onlinehobbysite.com Port 80

When I email my sever hosts, they tell me it's my fault, but sometimes, I cannot get into both sites I have (I have two websites, totally unrelated), but other times I can.

Today, my site has been down all day, and I have no idea why, as I haven't changed anything!

Is this problem likely to be a server error, rather than Cube Cart?

Thank you,

Chantelle

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me. Over the past few months, there have been days when I get the following page when trying to log on or visit my website;

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /shop/admin.php on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2 Server at onlinehobbysite.com Port 80

When I email my sever hosts, they tell me it's my fault, but sometimes, I cannot get into both sites I have (I have two websites, totally unrelated), but other times I can.

Today, my site has been down all day, and I have no idea why, as I haven't changed anything!

Is this problem likely to be a server error, rather than Cube Cart?

Thank you,

Chantelle

Hi Chantelle

There are several causes of this but the most likely is that your hosts have enabled a security module for Apache. It's called mod_security and can be turned off fully or partially with .htaccess file. In this case mod_security tries to prevent mysql injections and that's why you get permission denied message.

More here: Security Issue

It can be disabled by adding a couple of lines to the .htaccess file but I would first check with your hosts that this is something they have done first and therefore could be the cause. The other solution would be to move your site to a web hosting company that guarantees support of CubeCart

Guest chantelle

Hi Chantelle

There are several causes of this but the most likely is that your hosts have enabled a security module for Apache. It's called mod_security and can be turned off fully or partially with .htaccess file. In this case mod_security tries to prevent mysql injections and that's why you get permission denied message.

More here: Security Issue

It can be disabled by adding a couple of lines to the .htaccess file but I would first check with your hosts that this is something they have done first and therefore could be the cause. The other solution would be to move your site to a web hosting company that guarantees support of CubeCart

Thank you for that - I am sure it's nothing we've done, as we never change the files! I will email my hosts, but I won't hold out much hope, they seem pretty slow to answer any questions I have, and when they do, they say it's all my fault,

without even attempting to look at the problem!

Time to change host, I think - I have lost about five days because of this denial of access problem over 4 weeks!

Chantelle

Guest chantelle

...just to add, what lines would I need to add in my .htaccess file, to try it?

(I could easily change it back, as the file is empty at the moment)

Thank you,

Chantelle

ETA - How simple would it be to move my website to another host, one that perhaps understands CC a little more and have a modicum of customer service?

• 2 months later...
Guest jodawi

I'm always slightly amazed at the suggestion that the way to deal with a problem with mod_security is to disable it. I personally want all the security I can get, especially for something like a shopping cart.

I'm currently evaluating shopping cart systems, and anything requiring me to reduce security for it to work is out of the running.

• 4 weeks later...