Large upgrade on multiple heavily modded stores?

Guest smo

We have several stores, 2 of them "need" upgrading, one is at 3.0.10 and the other 3.0.14.

Both are heavily modified with modules for payment, images, SEO, admin panel stuff, stats, customer uploads, etc etc.

What is the best way of upgrading these, do i have to go through each revision 1 by 1 and manually hunt out the changed code file by file??, is it even worth upgrading them at all???

Either that, or install 3.0.20 fresh and reinstall all the mods. Determine which method is the easiest.

From 3.0.10, yes, as there are significant enhancements and bug fixes. Probably the same with 3.0.14.

There should be downloads containing just the file changes.

Winmerge (google it) will help. It will compare files for changes - skipping whitespace etc.

It would help if you know the purpose/structure of cubecart. Depending on your budget/timescale, you may be better off hiring someone to do it for you.

Most work could be done offline, so your store should not suffer long term downtime.

The biggest problem could be modders that encrpt their code - you may need updated versions, so it would be a good idea to contact each mod author for an update before starting work.

Guest degsey69

We have several stores, 2 of them "need" upgrading, one is at 3.0.10 and the other 3.0.14.

Both are heavily modified with modules for payment, images, SEO, admin panel stuff, stats, customer uploads, etc etc.

What is the best way of upgrading these, do i have to go through each revision 1 by 1 and manually hunt out the changed code file by file??, is it even worth upgrading them at all???

Please remember that it may not be possible to reapply mods that were written for previous versions into the latest version of cubecart, you may have to contact each mod author to establish if your mod version will work or get an updated version if not.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brivtech

I have this dilema with CC4. I have about 70% of all the code modified with my own enterprise system built over CC, so whenever they post an update it's a nightmare!

I literally have to go through all the code changes posted in the version updates, and adapt them to fit my modded code - It's not like in most cases I can simple replace what's there with the new code.

CC5 is a few months away, and while I shall be rejoicing it's arrival, I'll also be locked away in a cupboard for 2 months reprogramming all of my system from scratch to fit the changes in programming structure that CC5 is expected to have. I'm also guessing that there's much more OO code than procedural code, so that's double hard for me. But, I believe that the hard work will pay off, and I suppose the wait for CC5 will save many minor version updates, and their related code changes.

If you don't have the MODs, try and contact the authors, some of them may let you download it again, if their record keeping is good enough.