Google Webmaster Tools index.html not found

onebrowncow

Hi, we use various tools to optimise for search engine placement, in the last few days Google Webmaster tools is throwing up 100 urls not found warnings for /index.html and says it is apparently linked back from 100 various other pages within our site.

I've check my source code to make sure I've not hard coded this in somewhere and I haven't, I've not seen the error before this week and am a little lost as to the cause.

Does anyone know if Google has changed anything again recently? Could this be a problem in my Apache re-write mod code or should I be looking at the script which we use to dynamically generate a site map where again there's no reference to a html index file (a 3rd party mod by Robsta)

Any help appreciated as we never use to have this error

Hi

Are all your links OK? Should the pages throwing up the warnings not be linked to /index.php as I don't think there is an /index.html found anywhere in CubeCart. Or maybe you can change it in your webmaster tools somewhere to index.php?

It's just a guess so if anyone knows different, please correct me :rolleyes:

Are all your links OK? Should the pages throwing up the warnings not be linked to /index.php as I don't think there is an /index.html found anywhere in CubeCart. Or maybe you can change it in your webmaster tools somewhere to index.php?

Yes, came to the same conclusion, I think possibly a link I had coded as

<a href="/" target="_self">
 may be causing the problem, but it's been in my code for some time. I did change this to index.php but didn't like the address which appears in the bottom corner of IE so have since change the link to 
<a href="http://www.mysite.com/">

but I've never really been able to find out which way to link back to a home page is the correct way as they all work.

In the meantime I'll have to give Google a chance to catch up and see if the change is reflected in webmaster tools, but it seems to take some time for that to happen.

We do not have an index.html, we have an index.php which is the main page of the site.

yes I realise the main Cubecart page is index.php but for some reason, probably down to something I've changed but can't put my finger on, Google is finding links to index.html within some pages of our site then discovering quite correctly, it does not exist, what I'm trying to uncover is how or why some of my pages are suddenly referencing index.html in their links. Current possiblities are as a result of the apache re-write mod or most likely something else I've 'tweeked' in recent months. Either way it's not causing anything more serious than some error reports and a little frustration on my part.