Still major problems with CC3

Guest Slinky

Hi again guys.

I'm close to giving up with CC3 and trying another system. My ISP has checked (they claim) and all the problems I am having they say is down to CC's php script.

Can anyone else shed any light on these errors? It goes 'scooby' every few hours now. My ISP said 'Our /tmp folder is 6gb so your session unless it was stacking up would be huge to actually fill up 6gb, and we regularly run cron jobs to clear out this data.'

The the size of the memory_limit in admin states 128M.

TIA Slinky

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_494cb209404a5837c6b2afe4830b04a7, O_RDWR) failed: File too large (27) in /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/sessionStart.inc.php on line 39

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/sessionStart.inc.php:39) in /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/sessionStart.inc.php on line 39

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/sessionStart.inc.php:39) in /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/sessionStart.inc.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/sessionStart.inc.php:39) in /share/storage/01/cy/cymruambyth/store1/includes/session.inc.php on line 95

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_494cb209404a5837c6b2afe4830b04a7, O_RDWR) failed: File too large (27) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Are you willing to let a fresh pair of eyes take a look at your installation?

There are only two files that save session variables, /admin/login.php and /includes/session.inc.php, and both save very short strings.

Either your host is not looking at this correctly, or some code in your installation got changed or added.

... or they have not set up '/tmp/' correctly or sufficiently. The error suggests there is not enough usable storage space in the server temp directory. My suggestion is try another hosting company.

My ISP (who also give webspace) did suggest it may be Cubecart themselves causing it. Is this a possibility to get you to stop using their free version (3) and to buy v4 or something?

I am 99.999999% confident in my answer of 'no'.

I did get a look at someone's account-specified tmp folder and I saw only about five-dozen 1K files. In my personal server, I have 250 0K/1K files (my purging is not aggressive).

Make a demand from your hosting provider to provide you with a sample (maybe two) of an overly large session file. For example, the error message gives:

sess_494cb209404a5837c6b2afe4830b04a7

as being too large. Your host provider should be able to copy these problematic files to a folder within your store, then you can FTP them to your computer and inspect them.

Here is sample contents of a temp session file:

ccUser|s:32:"596461ce02a70cb0129d0550beb4f91a";

That's all there is. Other strings would be for the 'ccAdminPath' and 'ccAdmin'.

Granted, it could be the case that a third-party mod is saving things in the session temp folder.

But we need to look at the problematic file.

I am 99.999999% confident in my answer of 'no'.

I did get a look at someone's account-specified tmp folder and I saw only about five-dozen 1K files. In my personal server, I have 250 0K/1K files (my purging is not aggressive).

Make a demand from your hosting provider to provide you with a sample (maybe two) of an overly large session file. For example, the error message gives:

sess_494cb209404a5837c6b2afe4830b04a7

as being too large. Your host provider should be able to copy these problematic files to a folder within your store, then you can FTP them to your computer and inspect them.

Here is sample contents of a temp session file:

ccUser|s:32:"596461ce02a70cb0129d0550beb4f91a";

That's all there is. Other strings would be for the 'ccAdminPath' and 'ccAdmin'.

Granted, it could be the case that a third-party mod is saving things in the session temp folder.

But we need to look at the problematic file.

They are unable to do that. The problems are now each day but within a few hours, it is fine again. Then, hours later it repeats the cycle. By the time their tech department get to look, the files have already been purged. I have little option but to try and backup the database and files (will look for a tutorial on this site) and try different cart software. If the problems are the same with that, then I will have to move ISP's and get webspace from a different provider.

Searching Google (first two pages of hits) shows this is not specific to CubeCart.

"The problem fixed itself.", "The tmp directory reached a quota of some sort."

If your hosting provider can't/won't give you a specific folder for your CC session files, maybe you can do it yourself.

In the base folder of your store, create a folder called 'session'.

In the file sessionStart.inc.php, on a line just above session_start();, add this:

@ini_set('session.save_path', $glob['rootDir'] . "/session");

Save the file. Attempt to log in to the admin section. If successful, go and view the contents of the session folder. You should see one or more files.

If one or more files are in the session folder, do nothing for the next four hours (if you can).

After this waiting period, remove the newly added line from the file.

Examine the contents of the session folder. Are any files larger than 1K? How many are there?

I'm wondering if your site is getting page requests from unique visitors way more often than it should. Does your host provide any kind of site stats?

Searching Google (first two pages of hits) shows this is not specific to CubeCart.

If your hosting provider can't/won't give you a specific folder for your CC session files, maybe you can do it yourself.

In the file sessionStart.inc.php, on a line just above session_start();, add this:

Save the file. Attempt to log in to the admin section. If successful, go and view the contents of the session folder. You should see one or more files.

If one or more files are in the session folder, do nothing for the next four hours (if you can).

Examine the contents of the session folder. Are any files larger than 1K? How many are there?

I'm wondering if your site is getting page requests from unique visitors way more often than it should. Does your host provide any kind of site stats?

Hi,

Yes, the stats say I get between 3-11 visits a day. As for editing any files, I'm unsure how I'd do that since I can't view/open them (I'll have to google a windows based program that can read/edit php files).

PHP files are plain-text. You can use Notepad.

You would be advised NOT to use Windows Notepad with existing PHP files. The encoding of these files is different to that of when it's re-saved by Notepad, leaving odd carriage return characters sometimes (square characters). This can pretty much break the file.

Notepad++, Crimson Editor to name a few are ones I would suggest.

Ok, My ISP has got back to me and there were 17 files of which none were over 3k in size. Any ideas where I go from here?

Forgot to mention, they did suggest I edit the php coding myself daily to destroy any session data using:

<?php

session_start();

session_destroy();

?>

and then remove it. They did not though mention which file I should edit and once again urged me to contact cubecart as they have been watching my site and stated there are errors in the coding which is causing these problems. They do not offer tech support for this and suggested if I cannot get tech support (well I can but is not worth it really as I have only using it until the things I have sell) then use a different cart.

Thanks again for all your time. Any ideas what my next step should be? Maybe work through the 'backup your database' tutorial and try another system?

I have installed a second 'shop' but not added anything to it and not visited. When 'shop1' doesn't work, I then click on my link for 'shop2' and that has the same problem which I would have thought was impossible since there would be no session data for it.

Ok, My ISP has got back to me and there were 17 files of which none were over 3k in size. Any ideas where I go from here?

Seventeen files in your php session temp folder, all named 'sess_xxxxxxxx', and all 3K or less. I've not seen any CC session file larger than 1K.

Forgot to mention, they did suggest I edit the php coding myself daily to destroy any session data using:

<?php

session_start();

session_destroy();

?>

and then remove it.

I don't know if this will work. Look in the file /includes/content/logout.inc.php at around line 44. Here we see that a command to unset a session variable is commented out. Why? I don't know yet.

But if you were to try adding below that:

if($glob['rootRel']=="/"){

$sessionName = "ccSID";

} else {

$sessionName = "ccSID".md5($glob['rootRel']);

}

session_name($sessionName);

session_destroy();

They did not though mention which file I should edit and once again urged me to contact cubecart as they have been watching my site and stated there are errors in the coding which is causing these problems.

Then by all means let's get someone familiar with the code to see what differences there may be between your installation and anybody else's.

I have installed a second 'shop' but not added anything to it and not visited. When 'shop1' doesn't work, I then click on my link for 'shop2' and that has the same problem which I would have thought was impossible since there would be no session data for it.

That's how I would see it, too. Did you mention the name of your ISP?

Seventeen files in your php session temp folder, all named 'sess_xxxxxxxx', and all 3K or less. I've not seen any CC session file larger than 1K.

<?php

session_start();

session_destroy();

?>

and then remove it.

I don't know if this will work. Look in the file /includes/content/logout.inc.php at around line 44. Here we see that a command to unset a session variable is commented out. Why? I don't know yet.

$sessionName = "ccSID";

} else {

}

session_destroy();

They did not though mention which file I should edit and once again urged me to contact cubecart as they have been watching my site and stated there are errors in the coding which is causing these problems.

Then by all means let's get someone familiar with the code to see what differences there may be between your installation and anybody else's.

My ISP is plusnet. I have just been advised to backup the databse (as said, I'm sure I saw a tutorial somewhere) and delete all of cubecart and start using Oscommerce. I will in the meantime try and edit the file mentioned and add what you suggest.

Thanks again for your time.

At last! My ISP has admitted I am not the only person with this problem. They are moving away from having webspace with their accounts. I now have to search for a good (simple) tutorial for backing up all the database etc as I will find webspace elsewhere and continue to use cubecart. Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions.

Guest Slinky

<?php

session_start();

session_destroy();

?>

and then remove it.

$sessionName = "ccSID";

} else {

}

session_destroy();

Hi

I added tht above but the site still displays the same text with sessions etc. Anything else I can try?

Thanks.