template overides

I cannot determine what you are really going for, but the includes folder contains all the "controllers" for the application logic (determines what data is used) as well as the presentation logic (determines what gets displayed). The presentation logic includes what set of templates (the skin) you want to use. As such, you can program whatever data you want. And you can create elaborate decision making to change any of the application and presentation logic based on that outcome.

The templates determine where and style of the data that appears for the customer experience.

So, you want to override what with what based on what?

okay.. basically i've made modifications to includes/content/viewcat.inc.php and some others in order to get the front end pages doing/displaying what i require. However, because of this whenever there is an upgrade to cubecart, my includes/ files will be overridden.

So, i was wondering if it was possible to place these files into the template files instead, overriding the default cubecart include files.

I'm guessing its not?

I see.

Short answer, no.

Long answer: CC3 and CC4 do not have any means of providing to the developer "API Hooks" whereby plug-ins can affect the operation or display of the application (like WordPress can do).

On the other hand, looking at /includes/global/index.inc.php, we see that the logic structure is such that the developer can easily add an include file that, in turn, could register plug-ins. Those plug-ins might be limited to post-processing, but it's something.

On the third hand, I believe I have never seen a distribution package that contains just the files that have been changed from one version to another.

CC5 has switched to Smarty templates which has the potential to assume a lot, if not all, of the presentation logic. I haven't studied the code enough to say just how much has been put in the Smarty templates. It is said that CC5 also has some sort of plug-in architecture.