Cart checkout

Hi,

I am evaluating Cubecart 5 on a local testing server and running it through some checkout tests which seem to be behaving oddly.

Adding a test product to the basket and then checking out I get I go to the payments page and

1. Basket

With basket contents, OK, then clicking on checkout I get

1 Basket (again)

But this time with the "Your Details" and the Captcha etc.

Filling in all the details including the impossible to read captchas and stating I do not wish to open an account and clicking the terms and conditions it moves to

2, Checkout

With all the same information as the previous page only this time without the Captcha but requesting agreeing to the terms and conditions for a second time

After this it finally moves on to

3. Payment which works from then on.

This has to wrong or the most confusing checkout process I have ever encountered.

Any ideas?

For the most part, CubeCart has always had a multi-step checkout. Too many steps some have argued. If that philosophy has carried over to CC5, then each step offers to allow something to be changed: quantities, then billing address, then shipping address, then payment options, then actual payment.

Add to this philosophy the fact that CC5 has many programming and use case issues to resolve, and you end up with extremely quirky behavior.

What can I say except to fall back to CC4 (if that's what you upgraded from), or delay your eCommerce endeavors until CC5 gets up to, say, version 5.0.12, or go with another application, or just suffer.

Thanks to a great customer I found out why I've had some of the same issues reported. I don't know if it is for all of them, but this customer, who is also a programmer, has found a glitch in the phone number entry. If not put in just the way the cart wants it, the cart is reloading the page blank again until it is done in the format the cart wants. Sure enough when I tested it he was right. I had no idea because I have tested so many times I've just been letting my auto fill do it. If that is the page you are getting hung up on then it isn't just me!

Jamie

My customer explained it better. I'm tired and realized my post was clear as mud. He says "(1) If you enter a valid phone number without punctuation, e.g. 1234567890, the submission fails and kicks you back to an identical page without displaying any error messages. It was a matter of trial and error trying to figure out what it didn't accept (and whether the page was even functional)."

Jamie

For the most part, CubeCart has always had a multi-step checkout. Too many steps some have argued. If that philosophy has carried over to CC5, then each step offers to allow something to be changed: quantities, then billing address, then shipping address, then payment options, then actual payment.

Add to this philosophy the fact that CC5 has many programming and use case issues to resolve, and you end up with extremely quirky behavior.

What can I say except to fall back to CC4 (if that's what you upgraded from), or delay your eCommerce endeavors until CC5 gets up to, say, version 5.0.12, or go with another application, or just suffer.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, this is for a customer who has four Cubecart 4 sites and has asked me to create a new look for them but doesn't want the expense of then adapting the new design to Cubecart 5 so wanted to upgrade to 5 now.

Perhaps I may need to delay him until at least the next update.

Thanks to a great customer I found out why I've had some of the same issues reported. I don't know if it is for all of them, but this customer, who is also a programmer, has found a glitch in the phone number entry. If not put in just the way the cart wants it, the cart is reloading the page blank again until it is done in the format the cart wants. Sure enough when I tested it he was right. I had no idea because I have tested so many times I've just been letting my auto fill do it. If that is the page you are getting hung up on then it isn't just me!

Jamie

My customer explained it better. I'm tired and realized my post was clear as mud. He says "(1) If you enter a valid phone number without punctuation, e.g. 1234567890, the submission fails and kicks you back to an identical page without displaying any error messages. It was a matter of trial and error trying to figure out what it didn't accept (and whether the page was even functional)."

Jamie

Thanks Jamie

I tried a different telephone number combination which didn't seem to make any difference but it may be something to do with the way the number is constructed. The cart page does behave as though it had encountered an error but without returning any error message.

...this customer, who is also a programmer, has found a glitch in the phone number entry. "If you enter a valid phone number without punctuation, e.g. 1234567890, the submission fails and kicks you back to an identical page without displaying any error messages."

Always feel free to mention the exact version of CubeCart you are discussing.

I am looking at the code for CC5.0.6, the file \classes\cubecart.class.php, line 682, "private function _checkout()". In this function I see where $errors['error_name'] and $error_messages[] are being collected if they wanted to register at checkout (line 779). But the customer may choose not to register.

If the customer does, eventually, the code checks for the phone number: if(preg_match("/[a-z]/i", $_POST['user']['phone'])). Here, only if the phone contains a lower-case case-insensitive letter will a pertinent error message be added to the collection.

Regardless if the customer chose to register during checkout or not, then the $errors collection is looked into (line 861). But I believe this section of code is wrong and should throw a PHP error at worst, do nothing at best, or remove a fact about the customer's basket as intended.

There may be another place where a phone number is parsed more closely - maybe a javascript function. But because the report is that the customer is given a reloaded page, I doubt javascript to be the case.

That is a huge help in understanding where the problem starts. Now if only phone numbers had letters in them lol. Seems like a silly mistake but I guess when writing pages and pages of code something like that can slip through. I'll make sure I mention it when I put in a help ticket for this and my American Express issue.

Jamie

• 2 months later...
Guest M i k e

I am having this exact issue. CC Staff just upgraded my cart to 5.07 and I have tried this 4 times now on 3 different browsers, I have to hit checkout twice to move past the checkout page. (the only difference from you is I have re-captcha off). I tried messing with the phone, but it made no difference either...

There is no message, or error or any notice, just the same page 2 times... frustrating...I am sure many customers will just bail at this point....

CC4 did not work this way, each click through the steps at least went on to the next step, I never repeated the step.

**update - there a bug report on this issue, others are having some problem**

http://bugs.cubecart.com/view.php?id=82

Guest Tharina

I had the same problem. Finally looked at the code and figured out that the 2nd page loading is actually a "Confirm Order" page. They reset the shipping so that it doesn't go through to the gateway to early - so also check that if you have shipping options it doesn't default on the 2nd load. I changed the code so that the heading changes to "Confirm Order" on the 2nd page. I also had to change some code so that the shipping didn't default on the 2nd load.

Must say - cubecart staff is very unhelpful.

I miss my v4 at times. I had all my bugs worked out in it and someday will have all the bugs worked out in v5 but I have to admit I'm sticking with 5.0.6 for right now even though it has a CVV2 issue on Amex. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the double screens. Maybe go back to 5.0.6 where the phone number and cvv2 number is the biggest issue?

Jamie