what to do if no payment required?

marchick

There is one category on my site which does not require immediate payment everything else does.

I have a situation with limited edition teddy bears, they need to be on the site to pre order but I do not want payment for them until I get them in stock which can be a year or more.

I cannot use a deferred payment with my payment processor because the period is too long.

I just want the order to be sent to me without any payment details, on my old website the payment is achieved getting in contact with the customer when the bear arrives.

I just can't find out how the payment stage can be skipped. Any ideas please?

Couple of ways I could think of going about that.. first would be to mark the bears as free, entirely free orders should go through the checkout without requiring payment, but depending on shipping setup, that may not be plausible either, plus you don't have a proper record of the preorder with the price.

The second way would be to make some custom coding to flag up that category so that orders from it will use the print order form instead of the standard gateway, for that you'd need custom modifications made, best bet would be to check on the Unofficial third party services forum

Either way however, you'll get a bit of a problem if anyone orders a limited edition bear and a standard product in the same basket. Not entirely sure what you could do to get around that one, bit tricky

Thank You for your reply.

It doesn't sound there is an easy answer even with a bit of coding, the problem is that the limited edition bears we are waiting for are listed in the same catagory as others which are in stock because the same season bears arrive at different times. I guess we could create another catagory but it all becomes a bit messy and doesn't align with competitors presentations.

I don't think that anyone has ever ordered a Ltd ed bear together with something else so that condition is unlikely to cause a problem, I think for now I am going to have to put them out of stock and give a phone number and email to order. Not ideal but it gives me time to consider and ask on the other forum.

Thanks once again

Marcus

Perhaps you could use your Contact form to show how to order them and put a link to that where the Out of Stock message shows. I do something like that on ours for different reasons.

This one is Out of Stock at this time on our site.

http://dirtybutter.com/plushcatalog/1989-galoob-lost-n-founds-gray-cat-with-bib.html