Help! Language not working right

Dirty Butter

I'm having a problem with our Plush Animal Shoppe.

I've been having to edit the language.xml file, which I know I'm not supposed to do, because making the changes in the Language section of Admin saves the changes in Admin, but does not change it in the store. I've done all the rebuild, reboot, etc. stuff, with no success. That's been happening since about 5.0.7. I just realized the other day that changing the language on the skin does not change the store language. It used to work, but I have no idea when it stopped working. The page refreshes, shows the language changed to, but nothing happens. I am not using a default skin, but it doesn't work when I do, either.

Any suggestions about where to look for the problem would be appreciated. I'm on v5.1.0.

Still trying to solve this issue. Since it doesn't work on the Vanilla skin, as well as not working on my skin, even when i disable all my plugins... where could this trouble be coming from? The language folder contents appear to be OK. So where is the actual code that causes the translation to take place?

It is working correctly on our v5.1.0 Estates store, but not on our v5.1.0 Plush Animal Shoppe.