Thumbnail and some product images missing after upgrade

Guest familychoice

Guest familychoice

Hi,

After upgrading from V4 to V5 (5.1.0) most thumbnail images, and quite a few main product images have disappeared.

The old system used uploads/thumbs as the directory structure, but the upgrade seems to have done away with this.

There's nothing in the painfully skimpy 'documentation' about how thumbnails are created or where they're now stored - does anyone know if they've been removed by the upgrade or where they are now stored?

Thanks.

Look for images/source for your originals and images/cache for the thumbnails. Try deleting the cache and then go to Filemanager and Rebuild the Thumbnails. If you have your images in folders that has caused problems in the past, but I thought that was fixed by now.

Guest familychoice

Look for images/source for your originals and images/cache for the thumbnails. Try deleting the cache and then go to Filemanager and Rebuild the Thumbnails. If you have your images in folders that has caused problems in the past, but I thought that was fixed by now.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the source folder for the thumbs directory but it was missing, I haven't checked to see if all the main images are there though, but I'll have a look. I uploaded the thumbs folder to the source directory but it hasn't made any difference, thumbnails still aren't being picked up, plus the thumbs folder is not appearing in the Filemanager.

The images are in subfolders.

I emptied the image cache earlier and about half the images on the website vanished. I've just uploaded all of the old main and thumbnail directories to the cache folder, just to see if this will fix the missing image issues but they're still not displaying.

What is the 'Clear image cache' option for? They skip over this option in the documentation.

How do you rebuild the thumbnails? There's an 'update file list' tab in the Images section, but clicking this doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

Can't say I'm loving V5 yet and the documentation is as hopeless as ever.

The first thing is to be sure your images are in the source folder!

Thumbnails folder is not in the source folder. It's a subfolder of the cache folder.

Update File List is it - sorry for wrong terminology. Don't upload anything to the cache file.

Clear the image cache on Maintenance should empty the cache folder, but sometimes it doesn't seem to work very well. You may need to empty it manually via FTP or cpanel, then try updating Filemanager. If you have a lot of images the screen may be blank for a while.

Guest familychoice

The first thing is to be sure your images are in the source folder!

Thumbnails folder is not in the source folder. It's a subfolder of the cache folder.

Update File List is it - sorry for wrong terminology. Don't upload anything to the cache file.

Clear the image cache on Maintenance should empty the cache folder, but sometimes it doesn't seem to work very well. You may need to empty it manually via FTP or cpanel, then try updating Filemanager. If you have a lot of images the screen may be blank for a while.

Ah right, I think I'm getting the hang of this now!

The cache folder saves thumbnails of the main images in a variety of sizes (but not the full sized images), and all main images are in the source folder.

It looks like some of the main images have gone astray, which explains why they, and their thumbnails are missing.

Thanks for your help and for explaining the new system!

Update - I've just discovered that you have to open each folder in the image file list and select 'update file list' each time or the thumbs aren't generated. Cubecart if you're reading this, could you provide some documentation on all of this?

Guest familychoice

Sounds like you're on the right track. I won't mark this thread as resolved until you indicate it's all working correctly for you.

Thanks.

I've been through each image folder and clicked the 'update file list' (there were about 50 folders worth so it's taken ages to do) and checked the thumbs were generated (via FTP), but the site is still missing at least half of it's category thumbnails.

I'm completely stumped on this one, clients aren't happy either as there are a few hundred thumbnails that have either gone astray or aren't displaying.

Guest Viola

A few things that I've known to cause problems with images:

- not enough memory assigned to php (your host will probably have to help you with that one)

- spaces in image file names

- massive source images (Cubecart will have a lot of trouble rebuilding your thumbnails if the source images are all 3MB and up)

Also, have you tried clearing the cache (the template cache, not the images cache).

Guest familychoice

Thanks for the replies.

So are all the product thumbnails showing, but only part of the category thumbnails?

Not all, quite a lot are missing. I've just noticed though that the client has created image folders that have spaces in the titles, so even though this was working with V4, maybe V5 has skipped over images from these directories. The images are in the folders, but not being picked up and attached to the products. It's not always the case though, images from some single name directories are also not being picked up.

However their old folders with spaces have now been replaced with underscores where they'd used a blank space which would explain why they're not being picked up.

Is there a quick way to fix this or is it a case of editing each product and reassigning their image?

A few things that I've known to cause problems with images:

- not enough memory assigned to php (your host will probably have to help you with that one)

- spaces in image file names

- massive source images (Cubecart will have a lot of trouble rebuilding your thumbnails if the source images are all 3MB and up)

Also, have you tried clearing the cache (the template cache, not the images cache).

I'm clearing the cache on a regular basis as I'm rebuilding their template. I'm guessing the spaces they'd used in the folder names is causing the majority of the lost image issues.

Is there a quick way to fix this or is it a case of editing each product and reassigning their image?

I used a free bulk rename utility I found on CNET to fix the image names. I downloaded all the images, deleted the CC image files, fixed the names, and then uploaded all of them again.

Guest familychoice

I used a free bulk rename utility I found on CNET to fix the image names. I downloaded all the images, deleted the CC image files, fixed the names, and then uploaded all of them again.

I think the image filenames are fine, it's the folders they created that have caused the issue. I might check the db to see if I can run a query or fix it that way.

Guest familychoice

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, a query should fix it. I used this so much when I first moved to v5 that I keep it saved in my Dashboard Notes. :blush:

UPDATE tablename SET tablefield = replace(tablefield,"findstring","replacestring");

I'll give it a try - thanks for your help :)

There was an issue in pre 5.1.0 or 5.1.1 upgrades where folders with spaces in the names weren't being properly processed. I KNOW it's been fixed in the latest release, but unless you can restore a full V4 backup, there's not much way to fix it quickly and easily.

:w00t:

• 4 months later...

I would have said "oldie but goodie" but I still have similar issues...

Shortly, I just "inherited" a Cubecart installation that I must bring up to date:

CubeCart Version: 4.2.3

PHP Version: 5.2.17

MySQL Version: 5.0.96-community

Image upload folder size: 14.2 MB

Server Software: Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

The trial upgrade worked OK, meaning that aside from the homepage content and ALL images, the rest seems to be in place.

Please bare with me and if possible, please try to detail the complete "folder" story:

- which folders create(ed) issues?

- which is the NEW folder stucture (default path and name) for the images?

I still have the old setup, I am now trying to get a successful trial upgrade and it works very slow because mostly I have to dig into the source code to find answers...

And yes, there is something in it for Cubecart, once the upgrade will be successful, a new license will be required (and possible copyright removal, not sure, I am not "the one with the money" but the one that must deal with it).

Thank you very much in advance for any hint, link, post!