Run v5 along side v4?

I purchased CC when v5 was fairly new, and after installing it decided to start my new store off with v4 as there seemed to be a few issues with v5 and v4 was much more user friendly.

Now that v4 is reaching 'end of life' I am thinking about upgrading, but I have read that it is better starting with a new install as there can be issues with database upgrades.

As my store is small this is a viable option, but is it possible (within the terms of the licence as well as technically) to run a new install of v5 alongside v4 to give me time to set it up and enter all my products and customers before switching over?

While I don't know the technical details of how the license is verified against your store, I am of the opinion that the license works against the domain name and nothing further (but I could be wrong).

That means that technically (but perhaps not according to the intent of the license wording), you can have:

sub.domain.com/index.php (current CC4 store)

sub.domain.com/CC4store2/index.php

sub.domain.com/CC5store1/index.php

sub.domain.com/CC5store2/index.php

as these are all under the same (sub)domain.

When you are ready to switch to CC5, move all the CC4 files to a subdirectory, move all the CC5 files to the root directory and clear all the caches.

I hope that's how it would work.