404 error every page except homepage

markjen

I have a problem with every page on my website, except for the homepage. When I try to access pages on my website (for example... 'contact us') the following message appears:

Not Found The requested URL /contact-us.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at schoolstuffdirect.com.au Port 80

I currently have my site offline; I would appreciate some assistance with this because my host responded with this message when I asked them:

> You will need to contact your web developer for

> this.

> The error code being returned is correct - the files that are

> being called do not exist, which may mean that a redirection is

> failing or the website is not set up correctly.

thank you

Welcome markjen! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

If your store is creating links that have as the URL this style: /contact-us.html, then you have managed to activate 'friendly" urls (aka SEO mode) but somehow did not get the appropriate .htaccess file loaded to the root folder of your store, of the store is in a subfolder from the main site and the .htaccess file is in the wrong folder.

I do not see the Mod_Rewrite mentioned in the server signature. Please have your hosting provider install and activate it for Apache.

Thank you bsmither for your assistance. Before I posted my question on the forum, I did ask the support line of my hosting provider could this be the issue re: .htaccess file and their response was:

Sorry we do not offer free development advise, its appears to be an issue with your website. its best to get your developer to resolve this. But if you can not contact your developer we can charge you at a rate of $110 for 30 Mins if you would like. But I am unsure how long it would take to resolve.

I will go back to them with your advice... thank you very much.

Wow. I've heard of cheap hosting, but really?

CubeCart does not (should not) use friendly URLs for the administration side of the store. Log in, go to Server Info (bottom of the nav-stack). On this page, scroll to, if it's there, Apache2Handler. In the Loaded Modules row, scan for 'mod_rewrite'. If you don't find it, you must have your hosting provider add it. If they won't, then you cannot use 'friendly' URLs.

Go to Store Settings, Search Engines tab. Is the setting, "Enable SEO URLs" set to Yes or No. CubeCart will not allow this setting to be set to Yes unless the .htaccess file is installed.

If you can FTP, or use the control panel of your hosting account to look at the contents of your hosted space, determine if there is, in fact, a .htaccess file.

If it is there, view its contents. There must be at the very least this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
  RewriteRule ^(.*).html?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]
</IfModule>

If you have mod_rewrite engaged for Apache, then you must have at least this code in an .htaccess file for 'friendly' URLs to work.