Create New Language

WalstonNet

I am running CC v5.2.1. I have edited definitions.xml to suit my needs so things read the way I want them to, however it has come to my attention that anytime an update is done, the definitions.xml will get overwritten, therefore I would lose all those changes. So what I want to do is create a new language based on the definitions.xml, but in the "Create Language", I don't know what to put in for "Language Code" so that it will work, "Parent Language" would obviously be English (US), I'm assuming I could name the language anything I wanted to? So I need help figuring out how to do this so I can create a new language so that it would use the definitions.xml that I edited, so that whe updates are done the language doesn't get overwritten.

Can anyone help me with this? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

(Some of this discussion I will have to review for correctness.)

Extract the changes you made to definitions.xml to its own xml file. Name this file walston_en-US.xml.

When you "create" a new language, the Name will be "Walston", the code will be "walston_en-US", and the parent will be none.

Since this is a new language file, it won't be overwritten.

But realize this: changes made to the "language" should have been made through the Language Editor. Click the edit icon of the language you are using, then choose the group that has the phrase you want to be different. Once the group is chosen, the key-phrases and their current values will be listed. Change what you want and click Save.

Changes made here are databased. Even if any of the actual language files get overwritten (and they will when Cubecart upgrades), the databased changes remain.

• 2 months later...

Hey Brian!

I don't know how I didn't get around to this. Probably because I've had sooo much to do on this site, I guess I just didn't get the new language done so it never gets overwritten. Anyways, I just tried to create the new language. Instead of naming the file walston_en-US.xml, I named it arns_en-US.xml (more appropriate for this site) & accordingly the name/code to Walston/walston_en-US. However I get an error:

The following errors were detected:

• Failed to import language.

Now if I try to import the new language with the new xml file, I get the same error.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work? I'm confused as to why it won't let me create it, or import it. :-(

Monica

• 1 year later...