500 Internal Server Error

GeorgeScaife

Yesterday afternoon we had a problem crop up.

At the Choose Payment Method (https://gscaife.powweb.com/shipstore/index.php?_a=gateway) we suddenly have starting getting the following error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Our server is not reporting any errors.

We are currently on version v5.0.8, php 5.2.17, MySQL 5.0.51a.

Any help in correcting this problem will be greatly appreciated!!

George

Well, there is an error. We just need to find out if the web server has any error logging enabled and where its error log is at (not its access log), and/or if PHP has any error logging enabled and where its error log is at (and/or if MySQL has any error logging enabled and where its error log is at, but probably not a MySQL error).

With PHP, the admin Server Info page will show a PHP configuration summary, and in the summary will show if any error logging is enabled.

A web server reported error will not show in the CubeCart logs.

bsmither, if you have the time and inclination, please go this URL: http://gscaife.powweb.com/shipstore/

(I can send you login credentials so you won't have to create an account)

Select an item to purchase and "add to basket", click "view basket", click "checkout", on the View Payment Page select "PBR FVA Ship's Store" and click "Continue".  The next screen will be an internal server error.

This is occurring at the point where the customer should be transferred to the page where they can verify their shipping address, etc, and prior to the jump to the gateway to our card handler.  At least I think that's right.

Our hosting service denies any updates/changes to PHP and/or MySQL and this started just yesterday completely out of the blue.  Could this be CC v5.0.8 issue java?

I got this reply from our hosting service:

Hello, 

Thank you for contacting support. 

I am sorry to know that you had to experience Internal Server Error while accessing your website. I tried to check for this issue. However, I was able to access the website without any error. Please verify this from your end. If issue persists again please get back to us with the screenshot of the error page that you are receiving. So that we can escalate this issue to our engineers for further investigation. 

To learn more about taking screenshot, please go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot

Yes, you can check error log for your website. Please follow the link to Check Error Logs: http://www.powweb.com/controlpanel/cgiManagement/cgiErrorLog.bml .  (Been there, done that.  Absolutely NO HELP)

No, we have not applied any changes/updates to PHP and/or MySQL recently. 

For any further queries please feel free to contact us. We are available 24x7. We are also available through Chat at: http://www.powweb.com/chat

Thank you, 

Janet M 

PowWeb Customer Support

Well, I see that in this version of CC5, the T&C checkbox, while not displayed, is still required in the New Customer Registration screen.

So, the checkout process starts with _a=checkout. Clicking Checkout takes me to _a=confirm where I either login or enter 'ghost' customer details.

Here, I see that the State field allows for open entry (later versions give a drop-down of states relative to the country -- and this may pose a problem for certain gateways, such as PayPal, that insist the state be the official abbreviation). I click Checkout.

I am still at _a=confirm where the shipping method must be confirmed. I click Checkout.

Now I am at _a=gateway and am presented with a list of payment gateways. I see POF and a selected gateway I have not seen before (Ok, I see that this your 'description' of the FirstData gateway). I click Continue.

I get the ISE.

There is nothing I can see that would give me a clue as to where to start looking.

I do see:

* two identically named cookies, the same session id value, one with a different 'path' value, expiring at different times.

And I would ask that you review carefully the settings for the FirstData gateway module. Please state any settings that just do not look right.

FirstData settings look right.

We had a problem very similar to this at a_gateway which was caused by a Java version issue earlier in the year.

I'm at a total loss.  We've not changed anything nor has our host.  Do you think this could be Java biting us again?  Will upgrading resolve the issue?

George

Java is a program you install on your home computer. Maybe you mean Flash?

We can narrow this down if the customer selects the Print Order Form. If the server balks at this, then we've eliminated a lot with respect to what may be causing this.

Changing the version of a script source would be the jQuery framework.

So, to close this out, we have determined to the best of our ability, by looking at a PHP error log that we just enabled, we found Fatal Errors regarding CubeCart's wanting to save the customer's cart in the database (so that the customer can return days later to resume shopping).

Those Fatal Errors are a result of a couple of instantiated classes that, when PHP is shutting down after having finished executing all the scripts, has destructed those classes that the CubeCart->save() function still needs. Fatal Error: Call to a member function on a non-object. This situation has a few bug reports against it already.

The solution we are going with at this time (for CC508, coupled with your particular version of PHP and how it is installed and activated -- cgi) is to return out almost immediately after entering the save() function so that the calls to destructed objects never happen. That means this would be the same as never enabling the admin Store Settings, Features tab, "Auto save user's cart".